Sassafras bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
thanx to the kindness of Steve ( from West by-golly Virginia :mrgreen: ) I have some sassafras to play with :icon_cheers
here's my first attempt :

sassafrass_bowl.jpg

View image in gallery

Considering this started as a log , I'm pretty happy with it :mrgreen:. Man-O-Man does that stuff smell nice when you turn it :icon_thum

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks for postin' That looks great, I've got to get out in the woods and look for trees.

I spent most of the day cutting grass yesterday and recovering today.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Super job my friend especially in this heat. Is there nothing you can't do?

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hey Brudda, dat sure is purdy. But actually you would have to thank big brother Gary for gathering up the sassafras. I just delivered it. Steve

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work there, Robert!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Beautiful piece of wood, for sure. You did it justice!

Hope you display it proudly.

Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert
Excellent work! Does it smell like root beer?

More like cinnamon-y root beer :eusa_danc i am saving the off-cuts for my smoker :icon_thum

thanx for the kind words everyone :notworthy:

I might actually get this spinny stuff down pat one day :gar-Bi

sawduster

New User
Robert
Yo Buddy....What finish are you using? I like that glossy look.

thanx for the compliment bro ....finishing is as challenging as turning for me :BangHead:
sanded to 600 , sealed with Mylands ,finished with 4 coats of rattle can Deft ( 30 mins and 0000 steel wool between coats ) cure for a day or so then Johnson's paste wax and some final buffing
Nuttin' fancy, just the only way I know how to do it right now :embaresse

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nice attempt at humility... :rolf:

You are doing a great job with both turning and finishing.

Thanx for the kind words and encouragement bro :icon_thum What you don't see is the busted recesses from digging in the bowl gouge/Oland tool and flinging the bowl into the yard, cracked sides from sanding-heating , purely horrific finishes from tear out and tool marks that don't appear until the lacquer is applied :BangHead: etc etc
I have definitely screwed up some purdy wood :wsad:
Problem is I don't have the heart to burn them ( yet ) :no:

Someone on this forum put it quite perfectly and succinctly when they said ( paraphrase ) ...everything I do on the lathe is practice and once in awhile I get something worth showing off :gar-La;

PChristy

New User
Phillip
sawduster;322800tool marks that don't appear until the lacquer is applied :BangHead: [/QUOTE said:
Nice job on the bowl bro - I usually wipe my work down with MS - that will show you any marks that is left - the MS will evaporate and not mess up your finish when applied -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS