Sandpaper test

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Tired many and keep coming back to 3M purple stuff. I'll have to try their mesh.

Last edited:

Echd

C
User
After seeing that video I did purchase some of the 3m xtract he endorses so highly. It is pretty incredible stuff, and very inexpensive. I won't throw out my boxes from klingspor but for sanding discs I no longer see any reason to buy anything else.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I did not know they even make the 3M in belts. Of course, just after buying a lot of Klingspor, which are good. I see the Shopsmith grey stuff did pretty well. I had good luck with it too in disks, but belts came apart. Never would have bothered with Diablo, but if in a bind, easy to get. 3M has some red wet-dry course grit sheets that works very well.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I've been using some Xtract 80 grit for a week now. It's great. I have 120, 220 and 320 on order now.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have cubitron and xtract as well as Diablo mesh. Those are the one I settled on a while back.
With the Diablo mesh and the xtract, both do not perform as well as solid backing paper if you are sanding detail with ridges. Solid paper holds up better. THe mesh abrasive attachment to the backing will begin to fail. For that I use solid backing paper.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I buy my standard paper from my local dealer. Farris Belt & Saw uses paper from many vendors. They are converters also, so they can make any odd ball things I come up with. They also custom make bandsaw blades. They have hundreds in stock and can make up just about anything.

Pop

Echd

C
User
Anyone found the best price and selection? Taylor seems to carry most.

That is who I purchased mine from. I bought several grits in the 20 count packs to assess them. Oddly they did not come with packaging but were loose in the box. Unimportant but odd.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Taylor Tools, Katz-Moses, Amazon all sell the 3M Xtract Cubitron mesh discs. Taylor Tools sells both direct and via the Amazon marketplace. Amazon has been waiting to receive supply for its own store, with a touch lower pricing.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Nice study. The main advantage of the Festool sander is the amazing dust collection. I'll have to try the Xtract on it and if it still removes as much dust (and I assume it does or he would have mentioned it) it will be a real deal.

Billm0066

Bill
User
Nice study. The main advantage of the Festool sander is the amazing dust collection. I'll have to try the Xtract on it and if it still removes as much dust (and I assume it does or he would have mentioned it) it will be a real deal.
I used the 80 grit that I ordered and its amazing. I will not buy any more festool sand paper from now on. Dust collection is the same on my festool sander/vacuum and no need to line up holes anymore.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Following up on Bill's comments, I too purchased 3M Xtract sandpaper and I couldn't be more pleased. The mesh design works very well with my Festool sanders and Xtract seems to remove material more quickly that other sandpapers that I have used.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I still want to see a "dyed-in-the-wool" Klingspor abrasive user and what his or her opinion of the cubitron is comparatively.... (obviously a more subjective input) and I DO value the objective testing that JKM did.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Hank, the only downside that I have found with 3M's Xtract is that once you take it off the sander, it doesn't adhere has well the next time you use it. Normally, as I go through various grits I set the paper that I just used aside for use at a latter time. I am finding that the Xtract mesh can be pulled off and reused, but the mesh doesn't seem to adhere as well on subsequent uses.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, the only downside that I have found with 3M's Xtract is that once you take it off the sander, it doesn't adhere has well the next time you use it. Normally, as I go through various grits I set the paper that I just used aside for use at a latter time. I am finding that the Xtract mesh can be pulled off and reused, but the mesh doesn't seem to adhere as well on subsequent uses.
I thought someone mentioned with the Xtract that you needed to use a special pad to protect your hook and loop on your sander... not sure I am remembering correctly... didn't find it in these comments.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS