sanding mandrel

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am trying to find a 4" or longer mandrel set for sanding sleeves. Need to have at least one which is 1/2" in the set. I want to use this with portable drill. Have not been able to find any thing longer than 2.5".

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Get two, use a 1/4 or whatever size fits carriage bolt instead of the mandrel that came with them, use the rubber parts and washers. 4 inch sanding sleeves for oscollating sanders are on Amazon.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Get two, use a 1/4 or whatever size fits carriage bolt instead of the mandrel that came with them, use the rubber parts and washers. 4 inch sanding sleeves for oscollating sanders are on Amazon.
Mike, thanks for the response. I have to admit I am a little confused. Let me explain better what I am trying to figure out.

I have an oscillating sander with a 4" mandrel. I need to reach a 6" depth and can access from only one end.The drums have 1/2" diameter hole. I have a 1/2" diameter rod 8" long I am inserting in the different diameter drums. I am using a portable drill. The fit is tight enough the drum does not slip around the rod and the sanding sleeve does not slip around the drum. The problem is the sanding sleeve will slowly edge down the drum toward the drill exposing the end of the drum. When the drum touches the wood it leave black marks.

I am not sure how you mean to use a carriage bolt.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK, clear as mud...
I was thinking use the carriage bolt instead of the mandrel but I guess you are already using a longer rod of some kind.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
8" x 1/2" carriage bolt with a 1/2" nut/washer. Tighten the nut/washer to compress/expand the rubber mandrel. Same method the spindle sanders use.
Sanding sleeve shouldn't move with the correct pressure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors