Sample of procedures requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Since my initial request did not result in much documentation, I thought I would provide samples of procedures I think we need to have documented. These will help provide continuity as Board members change/leave. This is NOT meant to be a complete list, just a starting point. I’m sure there are similar types of lists/procedures for the other positions so please add yours. I realize that this will take some time, but I'm willing to help if I can. Thanks

Fundraising
1. List of vendors and contact names who have donated items in the past.
2. List of past donations
3. Post on Staff To Do List:
a. Add banner
b. Add progress guage (I can’t think of the right word)
4. Post thread about fundraiser.

Picnic
1. Pick the date – may need to be done after or with #5
2. Post to Board? Staff? Everybody for suggestion re: locations?
3. Decide on available locations
4. Verify permission for wood run
5. Select location
6. Get commitment for caterer
7. Request staff assist in getting donations
8. Review list of vendors/contacts from previous picnics
9. Review list of special invitees, if any.
10. Get event added to the calendar.
11. Post thread announcing picnic.
12. Closer to actual date repost and encourage folks to bring deserts and remind about the facility (including whether or not folks can bring dogs unless we just want to carry that forward without further discussion).
13. Start list of items needed from members – table cloths, napkins….

Treasurer
1. Transfer signature authorization cards at bank.
2. Outgoing Treasurer contacts sites to change password to new Treasurer.
3. Obtain software (currently Quickbooks) form ????
4. Establish folders with titles supplied by previous Treasurer.
5. Verify business, contact and payment method for businesses we pay.
6. Issue receipt for payments received.
7. Review bank statements to be sure nothing weird sneaks in.
8. Issue re-imbursement for staff expenses as appropriate.

cskipper

Cathy
The new BOD members may need to create their position's list from what they wish they had received from the person who previously held the position.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
My post as Development Director is relatively easy.
1. Spring donation drive -
a. coordinate dates not to overlap raffle
b. alert programmers to get the banner ready to toggle
c. coordinate with treasurer for 'other' payments, (snail mail)
d. Announce donation drive
e. watch the dollars roll in (we hope) coordinate donation thermometer and check with treasurer for bugs/issues
f. thank and encourage members
g. continue and repeat f as necessary
h. worry because time is drawing near and the dollar amounts aren't
i. beg frequently, remind members this is a 301(c) requirement
j. scrape by as close as we can
k. earnestly thank everyone for their participation
2. Fall donation drive
a. coordinate dates not to over lap with raffle
b. alert programmers to get the banner ready to toggle
c. coordinate with treasurer for 'other' payments, (snail mail)
d. Announce donation drive
e. watch the dollars roll in (we hope) coordinate donation thermometer and check with treasurer for bugs/issues
f. thank and encourage members
g. continue and repeat f as necessary
h. worry because time is drawing near and the dollar amounts aren't
i. beg frequently, remind members this is a 301(c) requirement
j. scrape by as close as we can
k. earnestly thank everyone for their participation
3. I send frequent messages to new members and ask how they found the site, how the registration process was, and how things might be made easier. Some actually offer useful input. Typically it is google searches or a referral from a friend. The process is 'fine'.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Here is the Secretary position as described in the by-laws.

Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for the maintenance of the following
documents:
Articles of Incorporation
By-Laws
Meeting Minutes
Contracts
All other Corporate Documents and records

In addition, the Secretary will:
Serve as the Chairperson of the Board of Directors Nominating committee.
Oversee the election of the Board of Directors
Oversee all “voting” by creating or causing to create all necessary notices and ballots, certifying voting results and maintaining voting records.

Other notes about this position from personal experience:

For Meetings:

1. As for the meeting outline/format, I learned it from looking at past meeting notices and agendas. Generally, meetings are run according to Robert's Rules of Order. Once a date and time are set, I draw up an Agenda based on topics of recent discussion in the BOD and Moderator & Administrators' Forums. I then post this Agenda in a thread and title it ex: Notice of Conference Call: 8/24/11 (click on the link to view this example). As you can see, I include the time, date, phone number and passcode at the top. This thread gives other board members the ability to add, edit or delete topics. Also, I started including the old minutes in a second post for the convenience of the other board members.

2. Before the conference call (or meeting), I copy and paste the finalized Agenda into Microsoft Word so that I can take notes on the conversation. Recently, I stopped including the conference call phone number and passcode since these Meeting Minutes will eventually be available to all Corporate Members via the Download Library. Also, I will usually go ahead and type the phrase "1. The board unanimously reviewed and approved the old minutes" under the last line item on the Agenda. Then I can take notes from there. During the conference call (or meeting), I set up my laptop at a table and use a hands free device for my cell phone. The art of note-taking is something that probably differs from person to person, but in general, I try to hone in on key statements and summarize what is being said the best I can. If I miss something important, I will either ask the board member to repeat it, or I will note it on my subsequent post with the notes and they can make corrections, etc. Generally, if certain people's names are mentioned on a touchy subject, I will not include their names, but will instead refer to them as, "a certain member," etc. When the conference call (or meeting) is over, I edit my notes and copy and paste them into a new thread in the BOD forum titled ex: Minutes from Conference Call: 8/24/11 (click on the link for an example). There, the other board members can edit them. Once everyone approves them, I copy and paste them into a new Word document and upload them to the Download Library.

Elections:

NCWWer holds its elections each year in May. The Secretary has full responsibility of overseeing it. I've only done one, but this is what I did.

1. A month before the actual election, I posted a thread in the BOD forum titled "Draft Nomination Announcement." After the other board members have approved the announcement, I then post it as a new thread in the Corporate Members Forum (only corporate members can vote) ex: Election Time is Here!!! (click on the link for an example). This gives the corporate members time to nominate each other (or themselves). The nomination period usually lasts about a month.

2. After that, I will post a thread in the Corporate Members Forum allowing the candidates to introduce themselves ex: Please Read! BOD Candidates' Introductions (click on the link for an example). The candidates then have a week to introduce themselves.

3. The next step is to get up with Jim or Bas to create a thread in the Secretary-Election Ballots Forum. This thread will be used to compile the results of the election. One of them will create the ballot and send you the link to it. Then you can post a thread in the Corporate Members Forum allowing them to vote for their candidate(s). ex: PLEASE VOTE!!! 2011 BoD Election (click on the link for an example).

4. From then until the Annual Spring Picnic (usually in mid to late May), Corporate Members can vote. This past election, Jim sent me a link that tallied the votes for each candidate and I just checked in on it once in a while.

5. The night before the Spring Picnic, I had Jim close the online voting and I took the final numbers and put them into a spreadsheet in Excel. I think that I actually put who every corporate Member had voted for into this spreadsheet, but that may not be necessary. The following day, at the picnic, I setup my laptop and offered corporate members in attendance (who had not voted yet) the ability to vote using paper ballots (which I made the night before using Microsoft Word). Fortunately for me, no one voted at the picnic this spring, but if anyone had, I would have entered them into my spreadsheet and tallied the numbers at the end. Then, the winners would be announced.

Other duties:

Aside from taking notes on the meetings, and the election, the Secretary is in charge of keeping the corporate records. (Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, etc). As of now, this consists of one three-ring binder. Any time any of these documents are amended, I have to print out a new copy and include them in the appropriate section. This three ring binder will need to be passed on to each subsequent Secretary. I've outlined what I have done as Secretary. Future Secretaries may be able to do more than this, depending on their schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS