Salt box -

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I want to make one of these and wondered which way to approach it, scroll saw or bandsaw. If I bandsaw it, I don't think I can make two entrance cuts without screwing up the shape. If I scroll saw it, I don't know how tall I can make it : blade clearance. So, which way would you do it and why.

Thanks,
Mike

salt_box.jpg

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The smallest radius appears large enough to have been shaped with a dish cutter. I'd slice off a top then dish out the recess, then re-attach the top. Good luck and post the pics!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on the scroll saw you have I think depth wise you are limited to 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If I was only building one, I might try a forstner bit in a drill press to clear out most of the waste and then finish off with chisels.

If I was building several, then I might make a template and use a router to clear it out.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have made boxes and candy dishes similiar to this on my scroll saw and band saw. It involves cutting a slice from the top and bottom with the bandsaw and then cutting the middle part with a heavy skip-tooth blade on the scroll saw. My Dewalt 788 has about a 2" clearance ( if you keep your fingers low and out of the way :gar-Bi ) I have also made the inside cuts first, sanded them and then attached a contrasting 1/4" piece to the bottom and cut the outside profile in both pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS