Safety Reminder: Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

New User
jay
Just a reminder about shop lighting this time of year when weather conditions can cause sudden power failures. You should always have one of the following in your shop at all times:

1) chargeable emergency light that comes on during a power failure
2) a flashlight on your person

This is especially true if you work in the shop at night or in a basement shop with no ambient lighting. In my case, I keep a small flashlight in my shop apron. Last thing I want is to be caught in the dark in a room full of power tools that may suddenly come back on.......

Just my $0.02
J

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jay,

Good advice. Thank you. Not sure what they cost, but in an area, like a basement, one of those (battery operated) lights that hang on the wall, and stay plugged all the time might be in order. They are basically a rechargeable battery with a light. The light comes on when the AC power fails.

Ray

M

McRabbet

Jay,

I moved this Thread to the Safety and Health Forum because that's where I think it belongs -- hope you agree! :icon_thum

Speaking of agreeing, I'm 100% behind your with your suggestion about carrying a flashlight in your apron. I've got a small Maglight I usually wear on my belt and a second small flashlight that I keep in my apron pocket in case I've forgotten the Maglight. I'd like to get some emergency lights for my shop too, but that is lower on the list.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great advise. I can relate. Was working in the garage (no windows) on my TS one night and the power went out. No thunder/lighting or ice storm. I just froze until the blade stopped. Next day I went to Lowes and bought an emergency light. It was about $10.00. It stays plugged in 24x7 and comes on when the power goes out. Light is suppose to last a couple hours. I do test it every few months.

DavidF

New User
David
Great advise. I can relate. Was working in the garage (no windows) on my TS one night and the power went out. No thunder/lighting or ice storm. I just froze until the blade stopped. Next day I went to Lowes and bought an emergency light. It was about $10.00. It stays plugged in 24x7 and comes on when the power goes out. Light is suppose to last a couple hours. I do test it every few months.

$10 seems a deal for what it might save..... Good tip, I'll pick one up next time in Lowes.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are a lot of options out there on this. You can also get a fluorescent light with a battery ballast. These look just like other fixtures but have an inline battery to keep the light on in the event of a failure. Not sure about the cost, and it's probably not a BORG item since it isn't high in volume sales - YET. Just keep it in mind next time a ballast on a fixture goes out. It'd be worth the peace of mind IMHO.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Got an old UPI from a computer? Plug a light into it. Instant emergency light. HD sells a complete light for about forty bucks. HF has them some times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors