Sad News

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I still get the emails from the carving club that meets at Klingspor. They just sent out an email with some sad news. It seems that Leon Harkins has passed away this past Sunday. I don't know how many here know him but he was an outstanding wood carver.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Leon was a really great guy, a real gentleman and scholar; and while I am not a carver, I have seen a number of his carvings, he did extraordinary work!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Leon was not only a Master Carver, but he was an excellent fisherman (fly & bait) as well as a great marksman. He was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. Never cussed, never smoked and never tasted alcohol in all his years. He also was a forester for NC State. But most importantly he was a very dear friend. At 87 years old he would walk his dogs several miles every day up until 2-3 months ago. He started having coughing/breathing problems and ended up on oxygen.
He, our buddy Ray and I have been going to the pistol range every Tuesday for many years. None of us ever missed many Tuesdays. Ray and I went to the range today (Leon would have wanted us to) and even though Leon wasn't there in body, he was there in spirit.
At Leon's request I am presently making his cremation urn. Ray was over yesterday and helped with construction and we will do the final turning tomorrow.
Leon's family will have a celebration of life in the spring when the weather is warmer.
Leon, rest in peace my friend!

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I am saddened to hear the news of Leon's passing.

We have been members of the Triangle Woodworking Association for decades. Though we were never close friends, I have shared many a pre-meeting meal with Leon over the years. His face was one of those that I was happy to see sitting across the table from me.

As others have noted, Leon was a skilled carver. His chip carving was extraordinary and he shared his talent with TWA many times over the years. I'm sure that his carvings will be cherished for many years to come.

Rest in peace Leon, I will miss seeing you!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
What a terrible loss. Leon was truly one of a kind. Superbly talented and genuinely humble. His collaboration with Charlie was a match made in Heaven. I had the pleasure of visiting Leon's shop (and he, mine) and left in awe of what he could do with a piece of wood. Talent most of us could only dream of having. You will be missed, my friend. RIP

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about Leon. Was a very nice guy every time I met him.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS