Sad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Apparently, Craigslist has issued Craiglook.com some kind of Cease & Desist order and one can no longer search multiple Craiglists with the Craiglook search engine. That's a shame because Craigslist does not offer the service themselves.

I wish there was a legitimate contender to Craigslist. It is antiquated and with all the problems they've had with "adult services" maybe this is an opportunity for a serious competitor.

mxracer

New User
Dan
SearchTempest is still up and running.

Don't know how it compares to CraigLook (never used it) but search tempest has done a good job for me for a while now.

Dragon

New User
David
Never used Craigslist much myself but I know a lot of folks here do. Sometimes it takes a little negative reaction to get things moving in the right directions. Maybe this will prompt one or the other to update and make things a bit more "user friendly" than the current situation?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I used to use "Crazedlist dot org" search, but it may require some tweaking of your browser (disable "referrers" in Mozilla, etc.,) to get around Craigslist issues. There are other craigslist search enginges like "Search Tempest" , "Allofcraigslist", "Craigzoom", "Search Craigslist with Google", etc. Google even has a craigslist search engine. Google tried to buy craigslist a few years back but their offers were refused.

The last time I searched multiple Craigslist sites I just used Google. It is not perfect because it returns expired/inactive/deleted listings along with the active ones, from all over the country, but it is ok if you only do an occasional search and don't want to download an app. or add-on.

The Google syntax is " search term(s), site:craigslist.org "

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
If you have a smartphone there are some good CL apps out there. I use Craig'sPro on the iphone and have been very happy with it. You can even do alerts (the first 50 are free). It's easy to set up your favorite CL cities and search them all at once...

Earl

New User
Earl
Craiglook.org is not dead, it was renamed to http://claz.org. I expect craigslist.org considered the similar name to be an infringement. Craiglook/claz was and is the best site from my perspective.
One other option I find helpful is google alerts. Use a search string like “dj 20 site:*.craigslist.org”. Then setup a conditional forward from your gmail account to your cell phone. Lag time seems to depend on how frequently google scans the site. The good thing is it works on almost anything. Just be sure you have unlimited text messaging before you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors