Ryobi Planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Does anyone have the Ryobi AP 1300 Planer ? If so I am trying to figure out how to rotate the feed rollers for cleaning without the power on of course.....lol:dontknow:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can't speak for the Ryobi specifically (mine is a DeWalt 735), but the easiest way to rotate them is simply to bump the power switch a few times. After each power off the rollers will stop in a different position, a couple such times and you will have cleaned the entire roller. Otherwise, my best guess is that you'll be looking at disassembly (bumping the power switch is much simpler).

HTH

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I had Ryobi AP12 a while back. When you removed to top cover to change the blades there was a spring loaded lever that would engage the drum to prevent it from moving. You just press the lever down to rotate the drum to the next blade position.

My Ridgid planer has the same kind of safety device.
DOH, geuss I should have read the post more carefully.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I had Ryobi AP12 a while back. When you removed to top cover to change the blades there was a spring loaded lever that would engage the drum to prevent it from moving. You just press the lever down to rotate the drum to the next blade position.

Me thinks the OP will be rotating that cutterhead for a mighty long time before he advances the feed rollers very much. I'm sticking with bumping the power switch personally -- I'm just not that patient.

At 100 cuts/inch the OP will have to rotate the cutterhead through 33+ complete revolutions (for 3 knives) or 50 complete revolutions (for 2 knives) just to advance the feed rollers by 1 linear inch. If each roller is 1-1/2" in diameter, that is 4.7 linear surface inches, or nearly 250 revolutions of a dual-knife cutterhead for the OP to clean each feed roller. If the planer does more cuts/inch, such as 180 cuts/inch, then it will take 80% more revolutions of the cutterhead to achieve the same result. With my luck I'd rack up 500 cut fingertips by the time I was done!

Sully

New User
jay
I used to have an AP1300. When cleaning the rollers I would do just like Ethan recommended: clean a section and then bump the power switch, repeat as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors