Rust Alert!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Rust Alert!
Our current temp is 42f (Charlotte Metro) and the dew point is 41f. Our afternoon temps are expected to get up in the 60-70s. With warm moist air coming in from the gulf, the dew points will be increasing. If you don't heat your shop don't open up your doors/windows this afternoon. Keep the warm, moist air outside or you'll have condensation on your cast iron.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Cast iron is not the problem as it is pretty rust resistant, steel is. ( I keep mine waxed anyway) Forget to pay attention and your chisels and irons are shot.

Put in a split system and aux de-humidifier. Tools safe. Wood stable. Operator ( me) comfortable. Hate wearing a mask or earing protection when hot and humid. Makes a hobby more like work.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
At lunch time today temp in Wilmington was 60, while it was 62 in Asheville. Never made it out of the forties here today. Shop stayed the same 57-60 degrees as usual.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
At 12:30 PM it was 50 with misty rain in Inman, SC and 1/2 hour later it was sunny and 66 in Hendersonville, 1,500 feet higher in elevation and 35 miles north of Inman. Go figure!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It was raining Monday on our drive to Augusta, but as we got closer, ir got lighter and at noon the sun was shining...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
At 12:30 PM it was 50 with misty rain in Inman, SC and 1/2 hour later it was sunny and 66 in Hendersonville, 1,500 feet higher in elevation and 35 miles north of Inman. Go figure!
Cold air is heavier than warm air. It's called cold air damming. Means cold air streaming down the Atlantic seaboard is traped up against the mountains. Common term for it is a "wedgie."

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors