Rule Joint

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I'm about to build a small drop-leaf table and want to use a rule joint. This will be my first rule joint. Am planning on routing both the round over and cove prior to ripping the table to width to cut off any small tear-out. I'll also leave it long so I can cut off the rule in the event it doesnt come out. I'll cut a sample before committing to the good stock. Any other tips/tricks?
Any suggestions on a swing arm vs purchased metal support?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Joe, I made a card table with a rule joint several years ago. I used a swing out support. The supported part of the top was only about 10" wide, so it didn't need much supporting.

Roy G

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
DrBob - thanks much. I have the FWW print but had not seen the video. Between the two sources, I should be all set.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I used a MLCS bit set and the joint came together fine. Spent a lot of time setting the hinges. I made sure I had the setup on scrap first.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Finally got around to cutting the rule joint tonight. Very straight forward.
Here's the unstained (ribbon Sapele) top sitting on the finished Sapele frame.

Attachments

• Rule Joint Close Up.jpg
    Rule Joint Close Up.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Sewing Table Rule Joint.jpg
    Sewing Table Rule Joint.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 105

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I'd like the top to be a bit lighter in overall tone than the frame. And of course not obscure the ribboning. So I'm thinking Zinsser sealcoat cut either 1:2 (darker) or 1:1 (lighter) followed by Minwax Early American which has a little red - its what the frame is. I dont want a mahogany red for the room it's going. Will do a few samples and decide.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS