Rubber membrane under wood floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
Anyone ever use a commercial rubber membrane underneath a wood shop floor? This is generally used under gravel flat roofs on commercial buildings but seems like a good shock absorber if stiff enough for shop flooring? Saw some contractor leftovers being sold so the price is better than new.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're talking about plain old inner tube type rubber, it could prevent moisture migration when needed. Most engineered or laminate floor underlayment films have a 'perm' rating that allows some moisture to pass. Not sure you'd get that with rubber roofing. It could cause problems with buckling or shrinkage if not compatible with your floor system.
Although it's 'just a shop' I'd still be leery of it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I used two layers of 30# roofing felt between my sub and final floors. It provides some cushion and vapor barrier. I laid the second layer at 90* to the first layer.

Bill

Wayne Stanaland

New User
Craftsman
I use scraps/drops of rubber membrane in areas I am walking or working /knees etc... It works great and saves some aches and pains at the end of the day. Also works great for working under vehicles/equipment in yard. Just ask your local roofer for some pieces, usually cheap or sometimes free...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Our architect spec'ed it under the floor of our screened porch floor when we designed/built it. We have an unusual wet-space over dry-space situation (screened porch on top of garage) - they laid down the rubber membrane, glued along the seams, between the sub-floor and floating stretchers that hold the T&G floor. If water comes through the porch floor, it runs off the rubber (floor has a 3deg slope, IIRC) and in-between the stick-built walls and the brick facade, then out through weep-holes in the facade.

Dunno if it would give you any shock-absorption through a wood floor, but if sealed along the joints, it will make a moisture barrier. I would think that plastic sheeting would last longer, though.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Our architect spec'ed it under the floor of our screened porch floor when we designed/built it. We have an unusual wet-space over dry-space situation (screened porch on top of garage) - they laid down the rubber membrane, glued along the seams, between the sub-floor and floating stretchers that hold the T&G floor. If water comes through the porch floor, it runs off the rubber (floor has a 3deg slope, IIRC) and in-between the stick-built walls and the brick facade, then out through weep-holes in the facade.

Dunno if it would give you any shock-absorption through a wood floor, but if sealed along the joints, it will make a moisture barrier. I would think that plastic sheeting would last longer, though.

If you install a traditional nailed-down hardwood floor you have to be careful not to place it over a membrane that flexes. Over time the flexing and compression will cause the nails or staples to start squeaking as they work their way loose. It would probably be more comfortable and practical to use shock absorbing floor mats than try to cushion the underside of a hardwood floor.

There is a downside to using a vapor barrier or waterproof membrane under a hardwood floor. Anything that is spilled on the floor and works its way down to the membrane will not be able to pass through the subfloor. Felt paper is not a vapor barrier, but it does provide protection from moisture migration while letting moisture slowly pass through.

bwat

New User
Bill
Sounds like the roofing felt is the best choice for an above ground floor, thanks all.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS