RTP Lunch Bunch & Habitat Re-Store Run

Would you like to join us for food and fun?

• You betcha!

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • I was planning to attend, but <stuff> has come up.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Based on the overwhelming desire of many to both eat and try to score TNBTG (The Next Big Tool Gloat).....

Announcing, the one, the only, fresh from the mighty Eno River, its the [PIE]RTP Lunch Bunch![/PIE]

Date: Thursday, August 20th 2009
Time:
11:30 to 12:30 Lunch
12:30 to 1:30 Re-Store

Location A: Lunch Spot:

Jason's Deli
Durham, NC: New Hope Commons
5408 New Hope Commons Dr. #123A
Durham, NC 27707

Phone: 919-493-3350
Fax: 919-493-3357

Location B: Then newly relocated Habitat for Humanity Re-Store in Chapel Hill

From this thread: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f23/chapel-hill-now-has-habitat-re-store-24976/

Quoting Tarheel: It is located at the intersection of I-40 and Hwy 15-501 (Exit 270 off I-40) in the former Haverty's Furniture building which is beside the Bob Evans Restaurant.

At the first traffic light north of I-40, Jason's Deli is in the plaza on the left (Left at the Light, first left into plaza).

To get to the Re-Store, the first traffic light north of I-40, make a right and an immediate right.

I've added a Poll at the top of the page. We'll use that to tally up how many seats we might need.

Hope to see you there!

Jim

p.s. Rumor has it it might be dpsnyder's birthday......

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I threw out a 2 hour window as a starting point. We seem to easily eat for an hour based on past lunch bunches.

In this case, I think the big draw is the Re-Store over lunch. But I also do my best to never miss a meal :gar-La;

We could do 30 minutes at the re-store, eat lunch, then go back to the re-store.

Or start at the Re-Store then mozy next door to Bob Evan's when folks are done getting good deals.

Or???

Jim

Count me in, at least for the lunch part. Not sure I can stay the whole two hours.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Habitat Re-Store - what I bought there

I don't want to kill the joy of discovery, so if you want to discover for yourself, don't read the rest of this......

I just got over to the new Habitat re-store because i was in the area. In addition to all the used furniture, doors, and light fixtures, I found several boxes of new items.

I picked up a few (new) bits (all of these were in 200 quantity boxes - so there are lots!)
- a selection of Porter Cable 3-wing slot carbide cutters for the router (1/16, 1/8, 5/32" sizes). I have the arbor piece already, which was also available there. $3 each
- two Lawson carbide router bits, 1/2" shank, 1/2" width, 1" length; one is a flush trim bit (i.e. it has a bearing at the end, I'm always confused about whether that is the top or the bottom of the bit). $5 each

There were also quantities of 7/32" (I think) masonry bits (DeWalt) and some jigsaw blades (DeWalt), and a small quantity of circular saw blades.

There were new DeWalt clamps, hold-downs, and extension kits that looked like they were made for mitersaws, and several DeWalt "quick connect" power cords for their tools.

There was a selection of assorted new hardware - handles, brass knobs (several boxes of these), packages of screws etc.

In terms of materials:
- reasonable quantity of plastic wrapped, new pre-finished trim pieces - crown and filler pieces in oak, cherry, and maybe maple. The crown molding pieces were I think $8 per 6' piece.
- 4' high stack of tongue and groove OSB 4x8' sheets

There is likely lots of other material of interest - but that is what caught my eye in teh few minutes I was in there.

Henry

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I voted and I am in along as the food is good - I am so glad there is no GC close

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
just an update...

the new Habitat Store does NOT do the discounts on the 10, 20, 30th of month like the old store. They were doing that to reduce inventory (for the move I would assume).

that said, its still fun to wander about and maybe find something you might be able to re-use someplace.

Dan

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Bummer, but thanks for checking!

Can we still celebrate your bithday on the 20th?

Jim

just an update...

the new Habitat Store does NOT do the discounts on the 10, 20, 30th of month like the old store. They were doing that to reduce inventory (for the move I would assume).

that said, its still fun to wander about and maybe find something you might be able to re-use someplace.

Dan

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Doctor day, just call in sick :p

Ok, I've got a few options for lunch, if no one has a strong opinion, I'll choose and you can all blaime me when you get food poisoning!

1. Bob Evans (Literaly next door to the Re-Store)

Across street:
2. Subway
3. Panera Bread
4. Sushi place
5. Greek Place

Across Highway:
6. Red Robin
7. NY Pizza
8. A great deli, can't think of the name

Thanks,
Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
FWIW,
A while back the Bob Evans sanitation rating took a nose dive, though it could be up now :dontknow:
IIRC the deli is McAllisters.
There is also a BBQ place, or so they claim. It's a chain called Dickey's . . . I didn't like it. However, you might :mrgreen:
Red Robin is decent. I haven't tried the pizza place or Paneras.

Roger

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
There is also a Jason's Deli in New Hope Commons across the highway. McAllisters is a good sandwich and salad place. I'm with Roger in that I didn't care for Dickey's BBQ Pit. Red Robin is, as Roger said, a decent place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors