Routing Grooves with a Router

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Here is a short video that shows a problem with using the flat side of a router base to rout grooves. I've had this problem. His solution is something I would not have considered. Am I the last person here to see this obvious solution?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That video "assumes" that the outer edge of the base is 100% concentric to the center point of the bit. Most, but not all, are close enough.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Most problems with router base offsets can be worked around by finding the desired side that represents a workable offset. Then put a large arrow on the top of the router base with a marking pen that is pointing to the side, and always use this side marked side against your guide. The offset, whatever it is, will always be the same, so you can include it in your calculations. I use a rounded side of my router bases and mark them with the arrow.

When dovetailing, always pointing the arrow at the router jig guarantees that base offset will not be a problem. Even an extreme offset will only serve to create the entire joint shifted slightly from one end to the other, and won't affect the fit of the actual joint itself.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS