Router Rabbet bit recommendation (is it rabbit or rabbet?)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a CMT 1/2 rabbet bit with a stack of bearings.

I want to get a 1/4 rabbet bit with bearings, but know there is varying quality out there...

SUGGESTIONS? (BRAND OR STYLE)

Oh, BTW:
A RABBIT is a furry thing that hops around.
A Rabbet is a step-shaped recess cut along the edge or in the face of a piece of wood

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
Whiteside Bits. High quality and also right here in NC. Looks like they have many options for rabbet bits.

cpw

New User
Charles
In British English a rabbet is a "rebate." Without doing any research I would think that is stems from the idea of reducing or cutting back from the whole of whatever the thing is, whether a sum or a block of wood.

Rebate plane Archives - Paul Sellers' Blog

Sorry I don't have a bit recommendation. Up to this point I've been using the cheaper ones I can obtain locally.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whiteside Bits. High quality and also right here in NC. Looks like they have many options for rabbet bits.

Thanks Eric,
I know Klingspor (@woodworkingshop.com )sells Whiteside and figured that would be my "go-to" or "back-up" and maybe I am going to find that is the #1 choice... but my first step is to "Poll the knowledgeable audience" here on NCWW!

This looks like a pretty good option for $60: https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/w1952/

Anyone else have a better suggestion?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stanley #78 rabbet plane.
I am thinking of edgebanding (veneering a table top) the one I am thinking of will be round... I don't think my 78 289 would work for that??
(you saw that braggadocious correction right?!):cool::cool::cool:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Rabbet- "Rectangular groove cut out of the edge of a piece of wood or stone so that it may join by lapping with others," late 14c., from Old French rabat "a recess in a wall, a lower section," literally "a beating down," a back-formation from rabattre "to beat down, beat back" . The verb is attested from mid-15c. (implied in rabetynge).
Rebate- Early English origin - late 14c., "to reduce;" early 15c., "to deduct, subtract," from Old French rabattre "beat down, drive back," also "deduct," from re- "repeatedly" (see re-) + abattre "beat down". Meaning "to pay back (a sum) as a rebate"

....... Married to a Linguist

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Rabbet- "Rectangular groove cut out of the edge of a piece of wood or stone so that it may join by lapping with others," late 14c., from Old French rabat "a recess in a wall, a lower section," literally "a beating down," a back-formation from rabattre "to beat down, beat back" . The verb is attested from mid-15c. (implied in rabetynge).
Rebate- Early English origin - late 14c., "to reduce;" early 15c., "to deduct, subtract," from Old French rabattre "beat down, drive back," also "deduct," from re- "repeatedly" (see re-) + abattre "beat down". Meaning "to pay back (a sum) as a rebate"

....... Married to a Linguist
Good definitions, but remember that a woodworker with Scottish ancestry might be named "McRabbet" :cool:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good definitions, but remember that a woodworker with Scottish ancestry might be named "McRabbet" :cool:
Hey no fair making us laugh and not weighing in on the bit brand question

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
For mail-order router bits, I've been going to Infinity. I've always been amazed at how sharp they get their carbide edges.
Getting a bit from a store like Klingspoor is always good form. We need them.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
For mail-order router bits, I've been going to Infinity. I've always been amazed at how sharp they get their carbide edges.
Getting a bit from a store like Klingspoor is always good form. We need them.
Thanks Bob,
I checked and the infinity Tools 1/4" rabbet set is $54.90 and since I don't know the manufacturer, for $5, I'll stick with Klingspor / Whiteside, but appreciate the source for future searches!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS