Router Rabbet bit recommendation (is it rabbit or rabbet?)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Had an offer to buy a Wood River set "cheap" ~$20.

Does anyone know who makes the WR bits?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Or ......... maybe it is just A Scottish Club Doorman whose job is to "Beat back"or "Beat Down" the ruffians ......... ;) :D

Good definitions, but remember that a woodworker with Scottish ancestry might be named "McRabbet" :cool:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had good luck with MLCS bits -- they make a 9-piece 1/4" shaft set currently on sale for $29.95
I am "search struggling" right now. I can only find a 15 piece set for $42+ and the McRabbet bit in that set seems to only have one bearing?!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I trust CMT, but I am not "Mr. Router" Whiteside does come recommended by those who are. I have a few Bosch form the big box stores. A "cut" above HF or e-bay sets for sure.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Thanks Eric,
I know Klingspor (@woodworkingshop.com )sells Whiteside and figured that would be my "go-to" or "back-up" and maybe I am going to find that is the #1 choice... but my first step is to "Poll the knowledgeable audience" here on NCWW!

This looks like a pretty good option for $60: https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/w1952/

Anyone else have a better suggestion?

A salesman at Klingspors told me there store brand router bits are made by Whiteside. Store brand should be slightly less cost. I stick to Whiteside bits and get them from either Klingspors or off Amazon. There's never any savings buying off Amazon.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Somewhat interesting timing. Catalog for Infinity just came.
Check Amazon, but always also check Walmart. I have been surprised on several things even with my free Amazon shipping.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank, you should stick with the Whiteside product from Klingspor, they are a solid product and why quibble over a few bucks. I mean you can't take with you. Maybe you could ask for a Rebate with that.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors