Router Plane

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Is a router plane hard to learn to use? I have a need that might fit it well,...It would be convenient if I just use this" IF" it isnt to hard to learn!!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It a very simple tool to use and is indispensable in my shop

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Check out Paul Sellers videos on its use, as well as how to set it up and sharpen it. IMHO it is easy to use, and has greatly improved the quality of my work. I use it on dadoes, rabbets, and tenons mostly. Have not gotten into inlays, etc. I have the Lee Valley one and am very pleased with it. I had it for quite a while before watching Paul's videos, and had no trouble using it. The videos just gave me some tips on improving my technique.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
If it is sharp, then a router plane is easy to use.
Thanks guys ...Illl have to pick one up and give it a try! Is there a better or preferred brand ? I dont need the most expensive one but just a good user! Im not a master furniture maker but am a flute maker and have an application on one of the flutes that this would work great on.

Last edited:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I agree with MikeDavis I have he small and the large Veritas router planes The large one is awesome the small one is more difficult to set the cutting depth as it is just a stop that screws in to lock The larger one is threaded and can be fine tuned
I just hone the blade and have never sharpened it after purchase I am not exactly sure how to mount the blade for sharpening

This tool works great for fitting dado joints or in my case the Maloof joint I typically get it close with the table saw and take off very thin cuts until the joint is rubber mallet tight with a light tap.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I have the small Veritas, and I can't recommend it. The iron will turn and deflect if you hit gnarly grain or if you are taking too big of a shaving, because the shank is round. I would recommend looking at the Lie-Nielson or some of the cheaper knockoffs on Amazon that have square shanks.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have only found a use for the small one a couple of times. I typically only work with Walnut and Cherry never experienced this with the small Veritas but that does make sense. In addition, I,was just cleaning up a small dado that was made with a standard table saw blade just to even up the different passes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ok, think of balancing that big router plane on a one inch tube and making a small narrow short groove that has to be accurate and smooth.

I think in this case the smaller plane will work much better.

Maybe the Stanley is better than the Veritas for this?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Ok, think of balancing that big router plane on a one inch tube and making a small narrow short groove that has to be accurate and smooth.

I think in this case the smaller plane will work much better.

Maybe the Stanley is better than the Veritas for this?
I wonder about using a router plane at all esp on a flute that is already shaped.If I could use it before I turned it to shape...like when it is still a square blank that would be better but that would require a different approach or a different step .Right now I use a small Dewalt trim router in a box sort of that holds the router and blank in place but I need more adjustment in it so if I am off center I can move the blank more...I have some but it isnt enough....Still thinking.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you are supporting the router plane like you are the DeWalt, a full size will work. However, for exact cuts, you may want one that has very good line of sight with the cutter. With the Lee Valley, you can turn the iron 180 degrees so the base is behind the iron instead of surrounding it. They do have the small cutters available for the standard router plane. (When I bought mine not long after they introduced it, the narrow width irons had not yet been introduced. When they came out a few months later, Lee Valley sent me a full set unsolicited and free of charge because I was on record as having bought the router plane. It was a very pleasant surprise, and another reason I like doing business with them.) The Lie-Nielson has an arch in the front, so you could also get good line of sight if pulling it toward you. Not sure what irons they have available.

My main point is that you may want to look at the different styles to see which would work best for the task you have in mind, whether you are buying new or used.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have the Veritas medium router plane. On the plus side, it is well made and has been very useful. On the negative side of the ledger, although it’s well-made, there is no fine adjustment mechanism. As such, adjustments are fussy. A sharp cutter and light cuts are essential.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors