router collet too tight?

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hey Folks!

I am just now getting into learning how to use my router and router table. The router was given to me and is about 8 years old. I bought a basic set of bit and tried to use one today. However, when I went to insert the bit into the collet, it was damn near impossible to get it in. I had to use a screwdriver and hammer to get the bit back out of the collet.

Is this extremely tight fitting normal? Do I need to replace the collet? Thanks for any wisdoms!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Oops, I just magnified your picture you may have the bit shaft inserted into the wrong end of the collet

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would check the diameter of the router bit, It appears to be a pacific rim bit and could well be too big. Try a Whiteside or Klingspor bit, they are made right here in NC - They will probably fit right

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I, too, think you may have inserted the bit into the wrong end of the collet. Typically, routers have two collets, one for 0.25" bits and another for 0.50" bits. I have bits of both sizes, but I do know some woodworkers who prefer to use only 1/2" bits; they are more stable with a little less vibration.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Another possibility is that you may well have a 6mm collet and a 1/4” (6.35mm) shank bit. That would certainly make for a very tight fit as collets are usually designed to provide a fairly snug fit (though not so snug that you would need tools to extract the bit) and the added 0.35mm, even though 1/3rd of a mm may not seem like much, would make things quite tight and would be unsafe to use in a router. It’s fair to say that 6mm and 1/4” collets are not interchangeable, if that is what has happened you will need to buy a proper 1/4” collet for your router.

It’s also worth checking that there are no burrs on the bit or collet that might catch or bite into one another and also double-check that the bit shank is truly 0.25 inches give or take around 0.01” or thereabouts as cheap economy bits are not always manufactured quite to spec.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What is the brand and model of the 8 year old router and what brand is your basic set of router bits (supposedly with a 1/4" shank).

Hard to tell from your picture but that collet just looks funny to me. Is it a conical shape (in your fingers)?

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Thanks for all your replies!!! I'm new at all this. And youtube can only get you so far sometimes. LOL

My router is a Bosch 1617 that has a 1/4" SR collet & a 1/2" SR collet. I cleaned the inside of the collet and my bit shaft with Simple Green and then added some dry lube to both. Didn't help much.

Below is how I have the bit into the collet. This is not correct? The manual actually doesn't say which way it's supposed to go.

The photo below is how I had the 3 pieces assembled. Correct? Not correct?

These bits are 1/4" shanks.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
right end, clean shank with emery paper then measure its diameter, 1/4 inch should be .250 maybe .001 or .002 under NOT over. check inside of collet for burrs ,nicks, debris

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pic 2, that's correct according to the Bosch 1617 manual (fig. 5). Maybe the cheapo Ryobi bits are slightly larger than 1/4"? ???????

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a couple of that Bosch router.

View attachment 185535

1/2" on left, 1/4" on right. They are sitting face down on the router base, tapered ends up. They screw into the router tapered end first, other side up.

From the instruction manual:

View attachment 185536

The slots do NOT extend to the face end of the collet. If they did then the collet would be in 4 pieces.

It is not a good idea to remove the collet from the collet nut and if you do it is a little difficult to reseat it properly. DAMHIKT.

The face end of the collet is supposed to be a precision fit. If you cannot insert a bit (assuming the collet is properly inserted into the collet nut all the way, and is easy to turn) either the bit is a little oversized or the collet is damaged. One or the other. That's the choices.
Look carefully at outer end of collet. Most likely one of the slots extends the length of the collet.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Look carefully at outer end of collet. Most likely one of the slots extends the length of the collet.

They alternate and you are correct. Counting the segments on the OP's collet, 6 instead of 4, makes me think it is, as someone else posted, not the original collet for that router. Bosch does make an 8mm collet, but it has 4 slots on each end too.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
They alternate and you are correct. Counting the segments on the OP's collet, 6 instead of 4, makes me think it is, as someone else posted, not the original collet for that router. Bosch does make an 8mm collet, but it has 4 slots on each end too.

I can't open either one of Bruce's Attachments from an error message despite logging in multiple times. I don't have permission! ??????

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS