Rough Birdhouses

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
The girls and I pulled together some bird houses for their Nana's birthday and for their Mom this weekend. :new_birth

Birdhouses.jpg

After reading a few websites, it sounded like birds perfer rough lumber and colors that do not attract attention. So, I had a pallet out back (from an incomplete composting project) with slats just the right width. A little bit of circular saw work and a box of #6 1" screws later, we had some presents ready to go.​

I got the plans from here:

The girls (6 and 8 years old) currently don't particularly care for the sound or feel of a hand drill. However, they stuck with it and with my help, go the job done. :gar-Bi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have some experience with bird houses. My group built 15,000 plus blue bird house in 2011. Most birds that use bird houses would nest in hollow trees if they are available. The size of the house and the size of the hole determines what kind of bird would prefer that house. Since you want to make it more tree like rough and thicker lumber 5/4 or 6/4 makes them more appealing. We use pine that are actually seconds from a place in Louisburg that makes stair treads. However making them more tree like makes them also more appealing to tree rats (aka squirrels). Your average tree rat can't fit in the hole of a bird house. To prevent them from enlarging the hole and nesting in your box you can use a .22 or a piece of brown flashing.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I have no love lost on 'tree rats'. I had some mistake my attic for a tree once. Nasty critters.

The holes are between 1 3/8" and 1 1/2". I don't know, those tree rats can get into some pretty small spaces.

BTW, if they weren't going in a residential area, I like the .22 approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS