Roubo workbench complete.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dan,

I just took a closer look and realized you have used some nice hardware.

Any chance of elaborating on your planing stop, holdfasts, vise (criss-cross) and any other features you incorporated?

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Dan,

I just took a closer look and realized you have used some nice hardware.

Any chance of elaborating on your planing stop, holdfasts, vise (criss-cross) and any other features you incorporated?
Thank you. The only elaboration I can give is that I saved up a while until I could afford the stuff that Benchcrafted and Crucible Tool puts out. My only power-tool is a bandsaw which I love, but I'll be using that vise and those holdfasts on just about everything I do so I figured it was worth the expense. Also, since I skipped the tail vise, I wanted a solid planing stop to keep longer boards from sliding around (when used along side a Doe's foot). There are many varieties out there that I'm sure work just as well.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Looks great.

How old is is that slab? You may need to watch it for movement/further cracking. My guess is you'll have to reflatten occasionally for a few years. I would recommend stabilizing the crack by filling with epoxy and installing a bowtie.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Looks great.

How old is is that slab? You may need to watch it for movement/further cracking. My guess is you'll have to reflatten occasionally for a few years. I would recommend stabilizing the crack by filling with epoxy and installing a bowtie.
Thanks Dr. Bob! Slab is probably 2 years old now. Reflattening periodically is the plan for sure. I thought about epoxy (and did a little already to stabilize the knots), but I figured it would move regardless for the first few years like you said, so perhaps wait a bit before trying to 'lock it down'. Bowties are another idea I hadn't thought of. Didn't know if they would have much effect in a slab that thick, or how deep I'd need to go.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Looks great.

Dan and DrBob,

Is there a specific epoxy product you used to fill the cracks?

Did you add a coloring agent to it?

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Dan and DrBob,

Is there a specific epoxy product you used to fill the cracks?

Did you add a coloring agent to it?
105 West Systems Epoxy with the 206 slow acting hardener. Tinted it with a little Medium brown Trans-tint. Matt Cremona has a good youtube video on the topic.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
West as mentioned works works well. To tint I usually use acrylic paint (picture paint) only because I’m cheap.

With the bowtie on a slate that thick I would go fairly deep like 1”.

camlane

New User
cam
Finally got this guy done. It's a 6' slab of 5 1/2 thick red oak. Took me a while to wrangle it into shape, but I'm pretty excited to get to work on it. I'd be happy to post more info and photos of the process here if anyone is interested. Alternatively, there's a lot of it on Instagram at #crowworkswood or #crowroubo if you like. The slab is from Leslie Caudle in Booneville, NC (lesley27011@yahoo.com). He sells a 'Roubo kit' which gets you the rough lumber to start with. Hardware is Benchcrafted and holdfasts are the 1" ductile iron beasts from Crucible Tools.

-Dan

View attachment 184982View attachment 184983View attachment 184984View attachment 184985
Quality craftsmanship!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS