Roubo workbench complete.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Finally got this guy done. It's a 6' slab of 5 1/2 thick red oak. Took me a while to wrangle it into shape, but I'm pretty excited to get to work on it. I'd be happy to post more info and photos of the process here if anyone is interested. Alternatively, there's a lot of it on Instagram at #crowworkswood or #crowroubo if you like. The slab is from Leslie Caudle in Booneville, NC (lesley27011@yahoo.com). He sells a 'Roubo kit' which gets you the rough lumber to start with. Hardware is Benchcrafted and holdfasts are the 1" ductile iron beasts from Crucible Tools.

-Dan

IMG_1172.jpeg
IMG_1177.jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.16.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.16.46 AM.png

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great looking bench. I am envious.

As for the "backward" pics, are you left handed? or did you use the selfie lens on your phone?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Very, very impressive! Cutting clean "normal-sized" mortises and tenons can be a challenge, I can't imagine cutting such large joinery! Great job!!

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Wow, can't imagine the 'wrangling' it took just moving that massive slab around and into place!

Good looking table.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm really liking your new bench Dan! The use of quarter sawn white oak for the legs really adds to it's beauty. A project well worth the effort and expense!:p

DTBoss

New User
Dan
I'm really liking your new bench Dan! The use of quarter sawn white oak for the legs really adds to it's beauty. A project well worth the effort and expense!:p
Thanks Bruce! Putting the boiled linseed oil on it and seeing the figure pop was so very satisfying. :)

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Great looking bench. I am envious.

As for the "backward" pics, are you left handed? or did you use the selfie lens on your phone?
You guessed it. I'm a southpaw. I've been working on a righthanded bench for so long this'll take some getting used to!

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Very, very impressive! Cutting clean "normal-sized" mortises and tenons can be a challenge, I can't imagine cutting such large joinery! Great job!!
Hogging out a lot of the waste with a 1" drill bit saves a lot of time, but yes, I was sore in many new places after getting those done.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
That's beautiful! Very nice work bench! I'd have to call it furniture in my shop. Now go ahead a take ya hammer and ding it in a few places so you won't mind when you accidentally do it haha!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS