Rosewood Slabs from Martin Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Hard to tell from these photos, but this might be worth a look. I have no connection to this other than a bad case of WAS (Wood acquisition syndrome). I have no idea about actual worth, but maybe that is the going price these days.

ROSEWOOD SLABS FROM MARTIN GUITAR - $900

Four Rosewood slabs are being sold to settle an estate. They were obtained by the deceased in 1972 from Martin guitar. The beneficiaries of the estate are not into woodworking. This is a pretty unique opportunity if you want some rare wood.
The are 9ft tall by 2ft give or take by 1.5 inches. And I forgot to mention,
they are from the same tree. $900 each.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mat/5356278613.html

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Pretty - is rose wood also used for fretboards? If so, there is the potential for a lot of fretboards there...

Of course you already know how to test them to see if they are tone wood or not. If not, then pass as they are rather worthless for instrument building.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Pretty - is rose wood also used for fretboards? If so, there is the potential for a lot of fretboards there...

Of course you already know how to test them to see if they are tone wood or not. If not, then pass as they are rather worthless for instrument building.

I know little about rosewood other than that are several varieties and all of them seem to be getting rare. Yes, it is used as a fretboard. Probably the best use for it if it is not of a quality for backs and sides. It would take someone knowledgeable about grading to determine if there is enough wood here to make it worthwhile to purchase, resaw and resell. Way beyond my paygrade.

Then there is the whole SITES(?) law that might make it difficult to move this wood out of the country unless there is some sort of documentation that would satisfy the regulators. Big headaches there if this falls under that umbrella.

Still, I would love to see some decent photos.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I know little about rosewood other than that are several varieties and all of them seem to be getting rare. Yes, it is used as a fretboard. Probably the best use for it if it is not of a quality for backs and sides. It would take someone knowledgeable about grading to determine if there is enough wood here to make it worthwhile to purchase, resaw and resell. Way beyond my paygrade.

Then there is the whole SITES(?) law that might make it difficult to move this wood out of the country unless there is some sort of documentation that would satisfy the regulators. Big headaches there if this falls under that umbrella.

Still, I would love to see some decent photos.
Oh... It's that wood - well its already in the country isn't it?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Oh... It's that wood - well its already in the country isn't it?

Right now, yes in the country is fine, but seeing the patchwork of laws spring up about Elephant ivory it is anyones guess where things may end up.

I guess I ought to think about stockpiling Harmony plywood archtop guitars.:D

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Right now, yes in the country is fine, but seeing the patchwork of laws spring up about Elephant ivory it is anyones guess where things may end up.

I guess I ought to think about stockpiling Harmony plywood archtop guitars.:D
Might be worth taking a look at and see if its tone wood or not though. Knock all 4 boards in several locations - I would not trust "they came from the same tree" its CL after all.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
If that is actual BRAZILIAN rosewood—and not all of the other true and faux rosewoods that exist out there—they should be adding another "0" to the price. Single sets of guitar blanks/kits go for thousands each, and the yield from pieces that size could be enormous, especially with the possibility for beautiful bookmatching. As everyone else has said of course, caveat emptor. Lots of stuff can go wrong there, but this could be a stunning find if genuine.

K

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
If that is actual BRAZILIAN rosewood—and not all of the other true and faux rosewoods that exist out there—they should be adding another "0" to the price. Single sets of guitar blanks/kits go for thousands each, and the yield from pieces that size could be enormous, especially with the possibility for beautiful bookmatching. As everyone else has said of course, caveat emptor. Lots of stuff can go wrong there, but this could be a stunning find if genuine.

K

Yes Kevin,

This could be the equivalent of finding a wartime Harley in a ramshackle barn still in the grease. Some Steely Eyed Luthier Man with a Watercooled BallBearing Resaw unit could turn this into Platinum. At least, that is what I daydream about instead of tuning up the 1/2 dzn planes sitting on my bench.

Don't suppose you are planning a expeditionary trip to check it out? ;)

JUst in case:
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...osewood-from-east-indian-and-other-rosewoods/

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
if it were me there would be a few questions, what do ya intent to do with the wood... if you are gonna resaw into back and sides for like a dozen guitars that's one thing... then the most important question, what kind of rosewood is it... i'm not familiar with the laws around 1972 but for some odd reason or a grace of god if it were to be brazilian rosewood $900 a slab is quite cheap. but i'm guessing it's more likely e.i. rosewood and if you plan on just doing a few, i'd save the headache of having to find usable stock, resaw, and thickness. but again, probably the most important question is if it's some leftover gold that never was used, but hey it's possible sorry can't tell from the pics

Hard to tell from these photos, but this might be worth a look. I have no connection to this other than a bad case of WAS (Wood acquisition syndrome). I have no idea about actual worth, but maybe that is the going price these days.

ROSEWOOD SLABS FROM MARTIN GUITAR - $900

Four Rosewood slabs are being sold to settle an estate. They were obtained by the deceased in 1972 from Martin guitar. The beneficiaries of the estate are not into woodworking. This is a pretty unique opportunity if you want some rare wood.
The are 9ft tall by 2ft give or take by 1.5 inches. And I forgot to mention,
they are from the same tree. $900 each.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mat/5356278613.html

JohnW

New User
John
Feds filed suit on Gibson in 2009 and raided them in 2011. This add says the wood was acquired from Martin in 1972. FWIW, I got some Braz Rosewood from Martin about about 10 years ago and they said it would be the last time it would be available. Also FWIW, the pics do look like Braz Rosewood...but very hard to tell from pics. I find true Brazilian to be darker than most of the African and S American offerings you see in today's market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors