• Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I know that this may seem like it is coming from nowhere, but it isn't. I've have been looking for a while. I talked to KenOfCary but after I told more about the job as I see it, he decided he had better things to do.:rotflm: I continued looking first at people who had run for the Board. The next is Ron Natalie (flyingron). When I asked him if he would be interested, he respnded.

Wow. Thank you for considering me. Sure, I'd be glad to help. To give my background, I'm a computer professional by trade and do a little light HTML work there and also for a couple of other charitable organizations (another one that I was appointed to replace a resigning board member, go figure). I've not got any direct experience with vBulletin though I've been peaking at the operations since you turned on my privs for the forum leadership.

Where do we go from here?

But of course, I wanted to make sure he understood what a big job it can be. so I sent him this.

The biggest issue with being the webmaster is the amount of time and the dedication it requires. When people have asked how much time is need, the has been the practice to say,"oh just a few hours a week". But that is just not the truth. It is the largest single job on the board and probably the whole site. The amount of time is not constant. It will be different at different times.

There are Several different areas.

• Serve as a BOD member - Overall management and priorities. There are 4 meetings a year, the next one is currently for Oct 21 in Greensboro at Barbara Forman's house.
  • Webmaster - as overall manager of website, primary creator of policy and rules.
    • Recruit and manage the administrators. we currently have 5. But most are new. Ethan is capable of doing most if not all technical tasks. But he is problematic. I just had a long talk with him this morning. And I will be working with on what, where, and how much to post. He just needs some "mature leadership". I will always be available to you as either a consultant or a worker, and I can do every technical task.
    • So far the training of the new admins has not gone as well as I would like. Part of that is my time, part of that is people will probably not take much direction from him. The intent was to set a test site and then separate sites for each admin to just play. But as of this morning we ran of disk space. As soon as they upgrade our disks we will get that started again.
    • Forums leaders. Almost all new and we will need more. They just need organization, leadership and perhaps some discipline.
    • Moderators. We had one,Tracy, but he just quit. We will need to find at least 2. That's hard because in many ways it can be the most stressful position. We will probably have to "promote" them from the ranks of the forum leaders when we see how they do. In the meantime you and I will have to fulfill that post.

So have I discouraged you:rotflm: However, if you (and I if you want) can get it running smooth again, then things will not be so bad. The webmaster and admins had become burned out and not much was done in the year before I got elected. So our primary job will to get things smooth again.

That got him thinking:elvis: But just an hour ago he responded that he would like to go forward. I want to get this done TODAY. I really don't want this too go on too long. If we approve immediately, he will feel better about it. And there is a reasonable chance he can get to Sunday's BOD Meeting.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
We have 4 of 6 votes. That's enough. I'll make it invisible and we can make it official on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS