Rolling pin palooza

Status
Not open for further replies.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
So the wifes rolling pin broke and she asked me to make her a new one. Not knowing which she would like better, I made 2 of them figuring I could use the other for a gift.
DSC00617.jpg

So she really liked the maple & mahogany one, but said it was to big for her, could I make a smaller one. Of course I agreed and the next night she had Bunco. Well all of her friends told her that I have to make more and sell them. Being the ever obliging husband. I made 6 more for her and told her that if she could sell them, I would make more as needed (so far none sold)

These first 4 are all maple/mahogany with 4 different angles (45, 40, 35, 30). After I was done, she said, you know what would look really nice. Of course I didn't know, but she requested that I cap the ends with mahogany
DSC00618.jpg

The she asked, could you make some out of all the wood from that pile you have. So out came two more from the beech wood pile
DSC00620.jpg

All of these are about 16"-18" long, the middle ones are about 1 1/2" wide, the others about 2 1/4", all finished with mineral oil.

Last edited:

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Beautiful work Mike!
FYI, these appear to be a hybrid design of a Baker's and French rolling pin design. You can say you did that on purpose, in case you didn't. ;)
If you care, and if anyone asks, the French style typically taper more at the ends, and the Baker's type are basically not tapered at all. Also, most pins tend to be a little larger in the middle, closer to 3", but that's somewhat personal preference and down to hand size as well. My mother was a baker for most of my early life and preferred the French style to the more traditional American type with the bearings and handles. I never did ask why...
For comparison, Amazon has tons (of course) and they vary widely in price and design, but this one is almost identical to yours. Look at the 4th picture down...they stole your design! lol
Anyway, like I said, beautiful work. I need to be sure my wife doesn't see this or I'll be on the hunt for a nice piece of hardwood for sure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors