Rolling lathe cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedAS

New User
Ted
I started building a mobile lathe cabinet this weekend and thought I would share the method I use to retract the casters.

I learned about this technique working as a set designer for a community theater. I needed a way to move large set pieces into position and then lock them so they would not roll.

This is the beginning of the cabinet, for the top I used 2 thicknesses of MDF with oak edge banding. I plan to add a bank of drawers on one side and 2 doors on other. I will post more pics as work progresses.

To make the casters retractable I hinge a 2x4 in the middle, mount a caster at each end of the 2x4 and then mount the 2x4 to the frame with 2 more hinges. I mount the casters 3/4" below the base of the carcass so when they are in the rolling position the cabinet will not drag. it is not easy to explain I think the pictures will help.
I use 3" cast iron casters with rubber tires from HF, on sale for $3.29.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a pretty sweet system :icon_thum What kind of joinery did you use on the control arms to resist the downward forces???

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now that is some clever engineering! Great design and execution.

Glennbear

Glenn
Cool start to what sounds like it will be a neat cabinet. The design reminds me of some of the work I saw done by the stage manager at the college I worked at. That lady did some of the most creative woodworking I have ever seen. I guess that is why she also taught the set design and construction courses .:wsmile:

4yanks

New User
Willie
A marvel of WWing engineering. My first thought when I read the thread title was, lathes and mobility don't play well together. But, after looking at your pix I'm thinking I'd like to have the same system. Nice!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nifty innovation there, Ted. :icon_thum I may clone your design for a rolling planer stand. :wink_smil

That's a very clever design. I may use a version of it with two inline casters and two swivel casters on my new tool (pregloat) when it arrives. Hope someone buys my 8" jointer posted in the classifieds so I can afford my new tool.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love it! ....but how'd ya turn the handle if ya didn't have a table for the lathe?:gar-La;

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's a great idea, Ted! A lot better than what I have...:slap:

Is the handle/control rod strong enough to lift the entire cabinet and contents or do you have to help with a little manual lifting?

YOU ROCK!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Very cool! :thumbs_up

Just about two weeks ago I was watching Norm (New Yankee) build a similar workbench. His used a string/rope, but the mechanism was much the same ... HOWEVER, I think your implementation of it is much nicer!

TedAS

New User
Ted
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Believe it or not the pivot joint on the control arms is a #10 wood screw, this is what I have used on my other tool bases and have never had a failure. The casters/fulcrum located close to the end of the supporting 2x4 provide a lot of mechanical advantage. there is not as much force on these pivot joints as one might think.

There is no manual lifting needed, this system is quite strong and requires a lot less effort then you would expect. Below is a pic of my other cabinet that holds a 6" jointer, a 12" band saw, and a 12 1/2" planer moder. Inside the cabinet are the motors for the jointer & band saw, 2 spare motors a 4" jointer that I no longer use, and the disassembled bases from the band saw and jointer. The only problem I have with this cabinet is the casters I used are inadequate, I need to replace them with the cast iron casters from HF. This system can handle a lot of weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS