Rockwell jointer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunit1400

New User
Scott
Good evening all,

I just returned home after a trip to Greenville, and while I was there, I stopped at a local re-sell store that sells just about anything and everything. I found a Rockwell 6" Jointer model 37-22 that they said worked and they offer a 30 day return warranty if there is a problem with it. Only problem is that it appears to be missing the fence and the guard. I don't want to get into spending a year trying to find replacement parts for it, but they only want $50 for it. My question is, is it worth it to pick up that cheaply, or should I just pass it by and keep my eyes on CL? Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Personally, I wouldn't touch it without the fence and guard, even for that great price. There are several members on here who do a lot of old machinery refurbishing who may be able to put you onto those replacement parts. But unless I had them lined up in advance, I would pass. Just my opinion.

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would get it.:icon_thum the guard is easy to make [a peice of plywood and a dowel with a slot cut in it] and a fence wouldn't be much harder IMO. you could use them until you found replacement parts.:widea:

Sully

New User
jay
It's probably a deal at that price but there's some things you should check:

1) Does the head spend reasonably well? You want to make sure the head bearings and/or motor are not locked up.
2) What condition are the beds? Any sign of pitting, scoring, or warping?
3) Does the infeed table raise and lower smoothly?
4) How do the blades look? Do they look like the machine was abused?
5) Is it single phase?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would add that you should maybe take a straight edge to check for flat and also check to see if the beds are not twisted. A warped table would be a deal-breaker for me. Machining is expensive

I could not quickly find a 37-22 but I did find a 37-220 which looks like a fine jointer.

You best figure on replacing the knives and bearings. The guard would be easy to make and a fence will turn up.

I would get it if the tools looks complete and restoreable.

gunit1400

New User
Scott
Thanks guys for the replies. That was another question I had. I looked at the plate on the back and it was clearly stamped 37-22. I did not see a "0" behind it, and I just looked at the pic I took with my phone again to make sure, but my wife seems to think it may have a "0" there. It looks like the serial number is CM 7424. Thanks again for the help folks. I'm not sure if I "need" a jointer or not, but for the price I was willing to consider it if parts could possibly be found (or made) for it.

Sully

New User
jay
Serial number CM 7424 puts it to a manufacturing date of 1960. Does it have a closed base or an open stand with flared legs?

Thanks guys for the replies. That was another question I had. I looked at the plate on the back and it was clearly stamped 37-22. I did not see a "0" behind it, and I just looked at the pic I took with my phone again to make sure, but my wife seems to think it may have a "0" there. It looks like the serial number is CM 7424. Thanks again for the help folks. I'm not sure if I "need" a jointer or not, but for the price I was willing to consider it if parts could possibly be found (or made) for it.

gunit1400

New User
Scott
Serial number CM 7424 puts it to a manufacturing date of 1960. Does it have a closed base or an open stand with flared legs?

If I remember correctly it had an open stand with flared legs. Is it a belief that the older tools were built better, like with the older cars that were built with thicker gauge sheetmetal? Seems to me that the older tools, as well as cars, were heavier and held up better.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you are on a tight budget and the jointer and motor are in good working condition, save for new knives, fence and guard, I would think it a good deal. As others have mentioned, make sure the beds are in good condition. Individually the beds should be flat to within a few thousandths of an inch and should have no twist over their length. They don't have to be perfect relative to one another -- you can correct those [small] errors with shims -- but they must be perfect individually. You can also shim the cutter head, if necessary, to bring it inline over the length of the outfeed bed. Make sure none of the gib nuts are not stripped or missing in the cutter head and that the cutterhead is complete (you may need penetrating oil to remove the bolts to loosen the knives -- who knows when the knives were last changed). As others have stated, make sure the cutterhead and motor turn fairly freely (expect some resistance from the induction motor, but not alot).

You can easily build a makeshift fence out of 3/4" MDF (just lookup homemade bandsaw fences) and clamp or bolt it to the jointer (make sure you have the rear 'table' that the fence would have attached to, this will give you a good place to clamp or bolt the fence to). Truthfully, you will almost always use your jointer with the fence set at 90deg, so I don't consider the homemade fence to be a big deal. If you mount your fence and find you are off just a bit from a perfect 90deg, use some brass shims to adjust the angle until perfect, then clamp or bolt in place.

As others have stated, a makeshift guard isn't terribly difficult to make either. Your guard wont include a spring to automatically open and close like a factory original, but you will be able to set your homemade guard to close off the portion of the knives that exceed the width of your jointed board, which provides you with much of the safety of the original (just be sure to set it to fully cover the knives when not in use).

Plan on giving the beds a thorough polishing, the smoother they are the more easily you will be able to feed your board through. Invest in some good push paddles to keep your hands out of harms way when face jointing. If you use the foam-padded push paddles like I do, cut a bit of foam off the rear of one of the paddles and screw in some 5/16" to 1/2" square dowel to the rear of the paddle. This will give you one paddle that hooks the backend of the board and allows you to feed the board through without the pad slipping.

Most importantly, at $50, even if things go south with the purchase, at least you can make up a portion of that by recycling the metal!

PS -- make sure you have a good straightedge for your evaluation -- you would be surprised how much error a typical I-beam level can have over its length if you try to use it for a straightedge. Your straightedge should be at least 2ft to inspect each bed, but you will want a good 3-4ft straightedge to bring the two beds even with one another over their lengths. Some of the new box-beam levels with factory ground sides can make for decent straightedges (if at the hardware store, grab two such levels, put their ground faces togeter -- if you see light they are not flat, if you do not see light then they are either ground flat or have perfect complimentary errors -- try a 3rd or 4th to verify the errors are not complimentary). Expect to pay at least $40-60+ for such a 4ft level (which is still much cheaper than a precision machinist's straightedge -- which is the ideal you are wanting to approximate).

You might also wish to see if any of us are in your area and can help you look over your setup once you think you have everything setup right (and before first use). An experienced user will be able to help make sure your beds are planar, knives setup properly, etc. and share with you proper technique for safe jointing. Most folk on NCWW are more than willing to lend their expertise, so please don't hesitate to ask when in doubt.

HTH

gunit1400

New User
Scott
You guys are great! I think I'm gonna go back tomorrow with the truck and check it out one more time. I'll probably pull the trigger on it and bring back to the house. I know it'll need some elbow grease, but that's ok. Wish I could find a decent table saw and bandsaw at a deal like that! Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. I'll keep you informed on what I do.

Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm a collector of used tools (read my name), but I wouldn't touch a jointer that doesn't have a fence. By watching CL, and the classifieds here, you can pick up a COMPLETE, and WORKING jointer for about $200. Time has to be your friend though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors