Rockler Branding Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
I received a wonderful Christmas gift from my son and his wife. Totally unexpected and an awesome surprise, I opened up a box containing a custom branding iron from Rockler.
I was so excited, I still haven't stopped thanking them.
I carefully filled out the form for the custom name of my woodworking business. It was a coincidence that the limited 20 characters was exactly the amount of letters and spaces in my business name.
I received the custom head about 2 weeks later, and to my dismay, the lettering was wrong. Plus, they only gave me 19 characters instead of the 20.
I immediately emailed them, informing them of the mistake. The CS rep was not helpful at all, telling me that I was the one that made a mistake and they are not responsible. No questions about what I requested nor any effort to rectify the issue.
All that was said was "No Refunds/No Returns".
I begged them to at least look into my issue, but they were right and the customer is wrong.

I then contacted Rockler , and told them that the company that they source their heads from "orderbrandingiron.com, were not customer friendly. In fact, the rep had a nonchalant attitude without actually saying "Tuff Luck Sucker". Rockler stood behind their source for the branding iron head, saying they rarely make mistakes!

I average between $1500-$2000 a year in purchases from Rockler, and since I can't find any resolution to my issue, I will never spend another penny there.

Woodcraft just opened a store in my area. Rockler is one hour drive for me. The new Woodcraft is 1.5 hour drive, but I will make the sacrifice.
I'm sure some of you have had good experiences with Rockler branding irons, and Rockler in general, but I
just thought I would inform you all of my experience.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Well that does not sound right at all.

If it was me, I would get all of my information together on this order and absolutely contact Rockler again. Don't stop with the 'first line' service rep, ask to speak with a manager/supervisor if you are not getting satisfaction. If they made a mistake on the order they should make it right.

I have been buying from Rockler for many, many years, including the purchase of a couple of their branding irons. In all that time I have never had a problem that their customer service department wasn't willing or able to correct. In my experience, Rockler has always been a good customer service company. I really hope that is not changing.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Jim, sorry to hear of your troubles. That is very disappointing. Out of curiosity, I looked on their current website and noted this quote:
NEW ORDERING PROCESS! You will get instructions via email from dropship@rockler.com for choosing your design and entering your custom text within two days after you place your order. This new process allows you to proof your final design and send it directly to our engraving machine - eliminating any potential errors.
I wonder if they changed their process after your debacle? At any rate, they should make it right. I'm sure that someone at Rockler administratively must realize the right path given the opportunity. It's a shame that the first responders so poorly represented the brand.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
If you used a charge card, most companies will go after the seller if you are dissatisfied in any way and they will fight for you!

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
Redknife, they must have changed their policy because that wasnt in effect when I ordered.
I misspoke, they did make an offer for me to purchase just the head for the iron, instead of just making it right !!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You don't say what state you live in, but most have Offices of Consumer Protection that can help resolve a dispute. In NC it is under the Attorney General's office. In Louisiana it was under the Governors Office. These can be quite helpful resolving disputes. Getting a call from the Attorney General's office threatening legal action can be quite intimidating to a company.

A complaint to the BBB is also sometimes effective.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would take this higher up the chain of command. Do you have a copy of what you did order? If you have this and you spelled everything correctly they owe you a new iron.

Red

gator

George
Corporate Member
I sent a link to this thread to Rockler Corporate. I explained that this forum reaches a vast number of woodworkers in North Carolina and beyond so it might be in their best interest to look into the problem and do the right thing. I have no idea if this will have any affect but it is worth a try.

George

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I sure don't understand their attitude on this issue. I learned many years ago that when the customer has an issue, make it right and satisfy them. You're only gonna lose a customer and still have to make it right in the end. The loss of one customer often means the loss of others that hear of the unresolved issue, so just take the loss and be honorable in all your dealings.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I always liked the slogan one of our clients in the retail business had in their corporate office.

"It takes years to establish good customer relations and only minutes to lose it."

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I received a new dual fuel 3100 watt inverter generator on Friday and discovered a broken part in the shipment on Saturday. I had registered the product and sent an email about the damaged part to their customer service. Today I received a response that entire assembly (the propane regulator and hose assembly) will be shipped to me immediately and I should receive it this week.

That's the way it should work.

Rob Payne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I sent a link to this thread to Rockler Corporate. I explained that this forum reaches a vast number of woodworkers in North Carolina and beyond so it might be in their best interest to look into the problem and do the right thing. I have no idea if this will have any affect but it is worth a try.

George

I also sent a link to this thread to Rockler customer service. This is the response I received this afternoon:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us concerning this issue. We appreciate you sticking up for a fellow woodworker. We have been in contact with this customer and provided proof of the order submission, which he entered directly to our manufacturer. This is a custom order and is non-returnable. The customer did receive the branding iron exactly how he customized it. We would stand behind and fix the mistake if this was an error on our end, however in this case Rockler is not at fault.

Sincerely,
Shaunte
Rockler Customer Care Team
customercare@rockler.com
(800-376-7856)

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
WOW!!!!
That is such a downright lie. How can they live with themselves? A big company like Rockler will deny to the end that they made a mistake on a measly $100 item. Un (;/$&"? Real!!!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have been wanting to buy a branding iron, but after reading about this issue, I'll buy it through Klingspors. The same product, different point of sale. At least I will have a person to talk to directly should a problem arise, and I know how to access the General Manager, whose office door is always open.

jg2259

Jim
Senior User
This may seem trivial to most, but my business name is
JG CUSTOM WOOD WORKS, not
JG CUSTOM WOODWORKS. I USED THE allotted 20 characters, including spaces. They just made an honest mistake by not putting a space between wood and works. Not a big deal, right?
Probably not, but, that is not the name of my business, so why not correct it?
The only copy I found that I sent to them, and I'm not sure how I found this is posted below.
544473711e5a3654cad33b321336533d.jpg

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
If this is how they take care of their customers, I don't need to make any more orders at Rockler. I can find other places to handle the things I order.
Really sorry you are having such issues. Quality assurance does not seem to be job one any more!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
It seems you have the proof of what you told them right there. Has Rockler CS seen this documentation?

If so, and they still won't make it right, that is just bad customer service. Don't know how they could claim this was your mistake when you have the proof in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS