Rocking Chair #2 Complete w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Alrighty then,
After my previous jigfest/what am I building post, most of you guessed correctly that all the jigs were in fact for a rocker. The rocker in question is a Hal Taylor plan rocker with some changes to both his front legs and his arms.

The wood is Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) w/ quartersawn curly red oak backsplats. The finish is sprayed water-based poly on the chair and 3 coats sealcoat shellac + water based poly on the backsplats.

The photography is by Jim Mcguire-enjoy:

jimmcguireallpieces2009_053.JPG

View image in gallery

One final note. Obviously I had a session with a professional photographer recently so there are many more rocker pics including lots of new ones of my 1st rocker. So check out my rocker gallery. Here's one of my favorites of rocker #1:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
That chair turned out awesome, Mike. Great job! The jatoba should darken up a bit with time and will be (even more) stunning. The photos are awesome too ... wow!

Shamrock

New User
Michael
That looks great! Are you doing your own photography?

Ed? you been drinking too much eggnog?:gar-La;

"The photography is by Jim Mcguire-enjoy:"

"One final note. Obviously I had a session with a professional photographer recently"

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:eek: Dude............. :swoon:

When I grow up, I wanna be a woodworker like you. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ed? you been drinking too much eggnog?:gar-La;

"The photography is by Jim Mcguire-enjoy:"

"One final note. Obviously I had a session with a professional photographer recently"

Thought maybe you gained a new skill! I know, what was I thinking!:eusa_doh:

:gar-Bi

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
That is just gorgeous and, it looks incredibly comfortable too (some a lot of good looking chairs overlook). Love the extra lumbar support especially.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Jeff,
This 1 took me waaaayyyyy to long-about 300 hours. It actually took me longer than my 1st one. However, I had to build all the jigs and forms for this one, and the wood was a nightmare to work with. Hopefully, I can get the next 1 down to 150 or so. Taylor says he can build 1 in 40 hours, but then he's been doing it for 15-20 years sooooo.... I'll shoot for 150 on the next.

The chair is actually very-very comfortable. I gotta give credit to Hal for that. All I did was follow the plans for this one. The only things I changed were asthetic. It's funny, it has a less formal feel than the Maloof Style. The photographer thought the Maloof seemed more "high tea at noonish" and this one was more laid back. They are 2 completly different concepts, although in appearence they have alot of similarities.

Thanks all for the kind words-now all I gotta do is find people to start buying them.

Speaking of long building processes-Travis-Doug?

Dragon

New User
David
That is one fine looking rocker. I really like the way you did the seat. Looks like it would "sit" very comfortably. How did you do that?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mike,

Like anything else, the more you do it, the better and more efficient you get. Just save all of your jigs. I really like both of the chairs and I'm sure there are people out there that will want to buy them. :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,
This 1 took me waaaayyyyy to long-about 300 hours. It actually took me longer than my 1st one. However, I had to build all the jigs and forms for this one, and the wood was a nightmare to work with. Hopefully, I can get the next 1 down to 150 or so. Taylor says he can build 1 in 40 hours, but then he's been doing it for 15-20 years sooooo.... I'll shoot for 150 on the next.

The chair is actually very-very comfortable. I gotta give credit to Hal for that. All I did was follow the plans for this one. The only things I changed were asthetic. It's funny, it has a less formal feel than the Maloof Style. The photographer thought the Maloof seemed more "high tea at noonish" and this one was more laid back. They are 2 completly different concepts, although in appearence they have alot of similarities.

Thanks all for the kind words-now all I gotta do is find people to start buying them.

Speaking of long building processes-Travis-Doug?

Michael I believe it when you say 300 hours - I see a lot of sculpturing in that RC. Although I have not sat in yours, it looks very comfortable. The only RC like this I did "test drive" was one Don Patterson (Touchwood) made from QS Sycamore. I was really amazed how the back supports actually flexed to align themselves with the way I was sitting in the chair. And when I rocked they also flexed to compensate to the transfer of my weight. By far the most comfortable all wooden chair I ever sat in. His back rests were laminated with a thin strip of white ash in the middle, which is what made them flexible. He had a extra back support in the shop which I sat on the floor and stood on, it felt a lot like a little mini spring board, yet dispute how easy it sprung - I didn't break it - phew I was glad I didn't break it .

You guys who build these wooden rockers are in a class all by yourself and deserve every penny you can get out of them... My hats off to you Michael, stellar performance my man :icon_thum

Touchwood

New User
Don
Michael,

Absolutely beautiful execution of the Taylor design...I see you used the newer front leg to arm transition..looks great.:notworthy:

I did my first "Hal chair" a couple of years ago..built four or five more and sort of got away from it lately, building some display tables and cabinets.

Looking at your work gives me the inspiration to get going on some more...you should be very proud of this achievement.:eusa_clap

I don't know how Hal can do one in 40 hours..takes me that long to sand and finish one.:dontknow:

Beautiful wood selection, beautiful shaping, beautiful work!!:icon_thum

Don

Alrighty then,
After my previous jigfest/what am I building post, most of you guessed correctly that all the jigs were in fact for a rocker. The rocker in question is a Hal Taylor plan rocker with some changes to both his front legs and his arms.

The wood is Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) w/ quartersawn curly red oak backsplats. The finish is sprayed water-based poly on the chair and 3 coats sealcoat shellac + water based poly on the backsplats.

The photography is by Jim Mcguire-enjoy:

One final note. Obviously I had a session with a professional photographer recently so there are many more rocker pics including lots of new ones of my 1st rocker. So check out my rocker gallery. Here's one of my favorites of rocker #1:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
The talent on this site is both awe-inspiring and humbling - and this is another example. My hat's off to you, sir.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ernie

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Don,
I actually didn't use Taylor's new design on the front arm to leg transition. When I built the 1st rocker (maloof style w/ John) we used dowels to locate the front leg to arm and rear leg to arm joints. when building this one I liked the idea of not having a screw hole to plug from the top of the arm so I went with the design from the 1st one. I then shaped the cove portion as Hal does on the tablesaw and then created a mirror of that profile in convex in the bottom leaving a "flat" where the arm attaches to the leg. It gives a lighter looking arm IMHO. Taylor's new arm design requires adding the block underneath the arm and on the side of the leg to give the arm more outside sweep and also to allow you to shape the "flow joint from arm to leg. My flow joint I shaped into the arm so it comes out of the 8/4 material, that way I didn't have to add a block, and with the dowel joint the connection when glued in is a little more sturdy. Here's some pics from the 1st chair construction to give you the idea.

maloof_rocking_chair_part_3_-shaping_the_front_legs-part_IIi_009.jpg

View image in gallery
Here's final pics of the 2 joints back to back:
jimmcguireallpieces2009_026.JPG

View image in gallery

You can see the similarities and the differences. Interestingly enough when I emailed a finished pic to Taylor he said he didn't like the way I did my joint because he said the appearance didn't fit the flowing lines of his chairs. He seems like a nice guy, very helpful, but all of these rocking chair guys seem to have very strong opinions about "their" designs being very good with no room left for interpretations or changes (unless of coarse they are responsible). I prefer to take a more "open-minded" approach and try out all the different styles and see what I like best. My next chair will be large and I might actually try Taylors new arm leg design to see how I like it. The main reason I did this 1 like this was so I could turn the front legs (and I suck at turning). I really, really did not want to hand shape the front legs with Brazilian cherry:gar-Bi. Can't wait to see your next chair I really loved your last. I consulted your pics often in my build of this one.

Also, after seeing Jeff's post about standing on the backsplats and see-sawing back and forth I went out and stood on my extra. I thought for sure it would break, but it did not! Quite amazing and fun to do too.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS