Road Trip next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Will be heading from Oxford NC thru Greensboro Via I 40, thru Asheville Via I 40, thru Knoxville TN Via I 40, thru Nashville TN Via I 40, thru Paducah KY via I24, to SIU in Carbondale IL.

Then it's off to Houston TX, thru Memphis TN via I55, thru Little Rock AR Via I30, down to Shrevport LA via I30, to Houston TX to drop Josh off at trade school.

Then it's back to Oxford NC, thru Beaumont LA via I10, around New Orleans, through Gulfport MS via I10, thru Moble AL, up 65 thru Montgomery AL picking up I85 thru Atlanta Ga via I85, thru Greenville SC via I 85, thru Charlotte NC via I85 , back up to Greensboro via I85, back home to Oxford NC via I85

Total trip about 2700 miles should take about 40 hours. If you have anything to pony express to these remote locations let me know and I'll see if I can work it in.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Can you take my daughter and drop her off at her grandparents in Nashville, TN. She's been wearing me out lately8-O:eusa_eh:.
Just kidding. Sounds like a fun trip. I miss the days of road-tripping without a screaming child.
Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
good thing ya aint goin greyhound!:rotflm: that trip would take ya bout 40 WEEKS!!!!:gar-La; have fun jeff and if ya gits tired pull over a spell.:icon_thum we want ya back in one piece ya know.:eek:ccasion1

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Sounds like a nice L-O-N-G trip, Jeff. Just be careful and drive safely. We're startin' to get attached to ya:icon_thum.
Take care,

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I'm familiar with a large portion of that trip. I made a similar loop through Louisiana last June... That's a long way man. You'll get through license plate bingo by the time you get to Nashville :lol:. It'll be interesting to see how much of the storm damage remains in east and west LA.

I'll be needing a few things since you'll be in LA. So here's my shopping list:
10# of Community coffee (best in the world)
5 boxes of Beignet mix (cajun doughnuts)
10# of Manda smoked sausage
50# sack of crawfish (live of course; we'll boil 'em when you return)
1 case of Dixie or Pabst Blue Ribbon (for the crawfish boil; well actually for me while the crawfish boils)

I need more, but you might need room for your stuff. :rotflm:

Just kiddin'. Have a great trip Jeff!

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Jeff

Have a save trip! :wsmile: Ho yes from Houston, TX to your home will take 24hrs only stopping for gas and eating on the road! :gar-Cr I have been that route 5 times. Have fun!!!!!

J

jeff...

I'm familiar with a large portion of that trip. I made a similar loop through Louisiana last June... That's a long way man. You'll get through license plate bingo by the time you get to Nashville :lol:. It'll be interesting to see how much of the storm damage remains in east and west LA.

I'll be needing a few things since you'll be in LA. So here's my shopping list:
10# of Community coffee (best in the world)
5 boxes of Beignet mix (cajun doughnuts)
10# of Manda smoked sausage
50# sack of crawfish (live of course; we'll boil 'em when you return)
1 case of Dixie or Pabst Blue Ribbon (for the crawfish boil; well actually for me while the crawfish boils)

I need more, but you might need room for your stuff. :rotflm:

Just kiddin'. Have a great trip Jeff!

Pabst Blue Ribbon??? Why not Old Style or Schlitz Malt Liq u eur?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
quote]

Pabst? They still make that nasty stuff? :rotflm:

Seriously, Jeff have a safe trip.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Yep just like [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]Henry (Hank) William Thompson[/FONT] said in his song "Red necks, White sox, and Blue ribbon beer" :jiggy:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
quote]

Pabst? They still make that nasty stuff? :rotflm:

Seriously, Jeff have a safe trip.

Two PBR's and three Tylenol. Instant headache for me on the PBR. Same goes with Budweiser, Michelob is my friend!!!. Have a safe trip, return in one piece.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lets see RDU to BNA (Nashville) 543 miles. Longest flight on a Brilanca (19 seater) in the world. Only can it take a full compliment of passengers is if air temp at take off is under 32 degrees F. I think I like the flying better than the driving. You could stop in BTR (Baton Rouge) and pick up my wifes brother and his wife and bring them back to NC for a visit. Have a safe trip, and take a detour to go see the ninth ward in New Orleans (MSY).

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
That trip will cost you a lot of gas for your truck, or car, about 180 gallons, get a prius and it would only cost about 55 gallons.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the senery.

dick

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Long road trips are timeless memories. Don't be in a hurry. Stop to smell the roses. ;-)

Trent :smile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Lets see RDU to BNA (Nashville) 543 miles. Longest flight on a Brilanca (19 seater) in the world. Only can it take a full compliment of passengers is if air temp at take off is under 32 degrees F. I think I like the flying better than the driving. You could stop in BTR (Baton Rouge) and pick up my wifes brother and his wife and bring them back to NC for a visit. Have a safe trip, and take a detour to go see the ninth ward in New Orleans (MSY).
My daughter went to a college in Bristol TN/VA for a year, she used to call flights on the smaller craft "pilot sits on a milk crate airlines" :rotflm: Be safe and has been said, enjoy the scenery :wwink:

cskipper

Cathy
Sounds like quite a trip. If time permits, stop and enjoy the scenery a bit. Most of all, be safe.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
We've done the Concord, NC-SW Louisana, Concord, NC route 6 times in the past few years. www.gasbuddy.com is your friend. Avoid buying gas in Alabama if you can except around Montgomery.

I can hook you up with some sinker cypress in Henderson, LA if you're interested. Beautiful stuff and worth the price. If you have to ask....~$30/bf:eek:

A couple of road food places on that part of your route worth checking out:
Rayne, LA-Frogleg capital of the world...kinda like chicken:wsmile:

Scott, LA on the I-10 frontage road-Don's Specialty Meats has the best smoked porkchop sandwich in the Universe. Just a big chop, 2 pieces of white bread and Cajun Power Garlic hot sauce. Try the Boudin (boo-dan) if they're out of porkchops. Don't worry about what part of the pig they put in there.

Mobile and Montgomery, AL- Dreamland Barbeque: Stop even if it's not time to eat. Get a chopped sammich and a slab of ribs to go. "Ain't nothing like 'em nowhere." (Before anyone has a seizure, I'm ecumenical when it comes to Que...good pig is good pig!)

Spartanburg, SC- Wade's off old I-85, right on 185 for 2 miles on left. Awesome vegetables. Do the buffet on the left as you walk in.

If you have an extra hour get off I-10 at Gulfport and take 90 east through Biloxi, over the new bridge and along the Gulf through Pascagoula. It'll humble you. I'm still amazed more people didn't die.

We have found the fastest way is up I-85 through downtown Atlanta instead of taking I-59/I-20 through Birmingham to Atlanta. Use the HOV lane if you can in Atlanta and you can scoot. Also...watch your speed as you enter SC from GA. The Speed limit drops to 65 and they watch the first few miles close as you head north.

Have a great trip!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
While you're in IL, don't forget to cut down that big Sycamore you took a picture of last trip (yeah, I know now its not a Cottonwood). I heard DaveO's runnin' short of turnin' blanks and he's almost finished with the swingset.:rolf::rolf:.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS