RO Pedestal Table

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Making my first attempt at a pedestal table. Two laminated 12"x 12" pedestals, 54" X 106" top. This is also headed to Tampa, FL. Material will be QSRO. Top boards are 18" X 8/4. So far I have the pedestals and associated base material roughed out. Didn't know what I was getting into but I'm quickly learning.:oops:

Attachments

• Top QSRO.JPG
    Top QSRO.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 225
  • DSC02957.JPG
    DSC02957.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 248
  • Base Taper (2).JPG
    Base Taper (2).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 228
  • Base Taper (5).JPG
    Base Taper (5).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 227
  • Base Taper (7).JPG
    Base Taper (7).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 247

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Steve, I am also in the process of building a pedestal table. Mine will not be quite a big as yours (96" x 42"), but it is all that I can handle. These tables are a challenge, but I am enjoying the process. Yours is looking really great...best wishes!

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, I am also in the process of building a pedestal table. Mine will not be quite a big as yours (96" x 42"), but it is all that I can handle. These tables are a challenge, but I am enjoying the process. Yours is looking really great...best wishes!
Thanks, look forward to seeing your table.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Both tables are looking good and taking shape. A suggestion. The feet on pedestal tables sometimes have a curve in the center out towards the bottom of the outside feet which will sit on the floor. Supposedly that's to help stabilize the table in case the floor isn't level but it's probably not a big deal at the end of the day.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Looking good. I don't even want to know how much that monster is going to weigh! Be careful even moving it around!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Those pedestals are huge and probably very heavy too. You did a nice job shaping them. Why is pic #2 colored? Stain, etc.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Steve, the pedestals are taking shape and looking great! I look forward to seeing additional pictures as you move forward.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, finally planed three boards for the top. The final top dimensions are 9' x 50". I'll have a few young whippersnappers over this week to assist me with trying to get these things across the jointer. I realize that the machine I have (makita 2030) is not long/beefy enough to get a perfect edge. So a stanley #8 will most likely be what ends up getting the job done. Did I mention these boards are HEAVY!!! Started off at 8/4 and now they are a proud 6/4.
Top Boards (2).JPG
Top Boards (3).JPG
Top Boards (5).JPG

Top Boards (6).JPG

I'm also including some neanderthal drawings/concept plans. I'm one of those weirdos that makes plans as I go. I usually just start scribbling a part at a time and go for it. As you'll notice the pedestals don't necessarily look like the drawing.

Drawings (1).JPG
Drawings (2).JPG
Drawings (3).JPG

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
WOW! Those boards are whoppers! It is not only going to be a beautiful table, it will a nice place to take refuge under when a storm approaches!

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Table recipients want a natural wood look for the table. I mentioned that poly is pretty durable, oil version yellows with time and the water version seems to remain clear although it is less durable. Another option is tung oil (I believe it's a thin poly which leaves less of an external coat/layer) but being oil based it yellows with time. Next option is BLO. I've used it on smaller pieces and bowls and really like the natural look. Will multiple coats of BLO followed by periodic furniture wax work?

Any suggestions, advice, comments?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve had good results with General Finishes:

I prefer the satin instead of the gloss. They also make a spray only version that is supposed to be even more durable, but no haven’t used that one.

So far the GF finish has held up on a dining table (made of white oak) used in a college student center and a home dining table (made of pin/live oak). I’ve also used it on cabinet interiors.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS