Riving knife

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have a 92 Unisaw. The blade guard and all that came with it were tossed not to long after buying it. I do not want a blade guard so the shark guard is out. I just want a riving knife. I have a micro splitter. Does a riving knife exist for this saw. I have read where one does not exist.

I posted a similar thread on this subject and I really appreciate all the responses. I learned a lot. I have looked at many web sites I did no know existed and watched videos by people who are professionals and know what they are talking about.

I have a number of jigs to build and kind of know where I want to go with this.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Did you contact shark guard before ruling out the riving knife only option? I believe they sell just the riving knife without the plastic guard.

There are other creative options:

I believe he has posted plans for this one:

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I'd second the above - the shark guard folks will certainly sell you the knife only. It's even marketed right on their website...

They are a small company, (maybe 1 or 2 folks from what I gather), but were very helpful when I called initially - I'm sure they would be equally helpful for you, if you want to go that route.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks guys! I sure feel like a dummy. I went to their web site several times and did not see an option for a riving knife.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Their website is not the most user friendly—at least in a phone!

Another tip, if you buy the manual riving knife is to cut an access hole above the handle so that you do not have to remove the throat plate to adjust.
Thanks guys! I sure feel like a dummy. I went to their web site several times and did not see an option for a riving knife.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
By definition, a riving knife moves with the blade. Shark adjustable splitter is a good option for the Unisaw, but it is not a riving knife.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Keye,

Did you end up getting the riving knife from shark?

There was a recent riving knife discussion that reminded me of this thread on another board about some of the upgrades. Probably the most helpful is that the shark riving knife can now be removed without taking out the mounting block.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS