Rigid planer

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Would like to hear comments from anyone having a 13" Rigid planer. I am looking at a new one vs a used Dewalt 733. Never used one before.

Thanks.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Would like to hear comments from anyone having a 13" Rigid planer. I am looking at a new one vs a used Dewalt 733. Never used one before.

Thanks.

Brent, Several years ago I had the DW733 (new) and it was fine. I replaced it with a DW735 which leaves a slightly better surface. There were pluses and minuses to each.

While I never owned the Rigid planer. I seriously considered it and only went with the DeWalt because I was really satisfied with all my other DW products. Also, I have a friend who was very meticulous in his tool choices, and he had the Rigid planer. He ran it pretty hard and was really happy with his.

I personally would probably go for a brand new one but I don’t have the skill level to perform most maintenance and repairs on power tools.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Brent, I have the Rigid 13" Portable Planer and I'm pretty happy with it. Like most other planers, it does leave some snipe if you don't give your board some up lift as it exits the planer. I bought mine slightly used and I've not yet had to change blades yet, so I can't comment on that part. I'm not sure where you're located but if you'd like to come by my shop in Chapel Hill, you're welcome to give it a good look over and run some wood through it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I had the Ridgid R4330 for several years. It worked great and has some really nice features like the depth stop and on-board tool storage.
Would still have it if I did not go with a larger planer.

Last edited:

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Brent, I have the Rigid 13" Portable Planer and I'm pretty happy with it. Like most other planers, it does leave some snipe if you don't give your board some up lift as it exits the planer. I bought mine slightly used and I've not yet had to change blades yet, so I can't comment on that part. I'm not sure where you're located but if you'd like to come by my shop in Chapel Hill, you're welcome to give it a good look over and run some wood through it.
Thanks for the input and offer, but I'm on the opposite end of NC.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Had the R4330 also and it did a good job in my shop. Upgraded to a larger, more powerful planer, or I'd still be using it. Sold it to my friend who still uses and likes it. On board tool storage and depth gage were 2 very good extras with it.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Don't know about the Ridgid but I have had a 733 for over 15 years and it still runs like a champ. I like the idea of re-sharpenable blades. As with any machine, don't abuse it, keep it well maintained and clean and it will run forever.

George

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I have the Ridgid and have used it for years with no issues. I would buy it again today if I needed another one.

Red

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The DeWalt 733 is not a 735 in any way. The extra $150 is worth every cent. The 735 is more powerful has many features like lock downs etc. After selling power tools for a few years I would rate the DeWalt 734 top of the list in bench top surface planes.

Pop

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
The DeWalt 733 is not a 735 in any way. The extra $150 is worth every cent. The 735 is more powerful has many features like lock downs etc. After selling power tools for a few years I would rate the DeWalt 734 top of the list in bench top surface planes.

Pop

Hey Pop, My recollection is the DW733 has a locking lever (that I often forgot to move) and my DW735 locks through magic or something.

If I could have gotten through the Honey Do list today, I would have used my DW735 this afternoon. As it is, I hardly remember how it works.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Hey Pop, My recollection is the DW733 has a locking lever (that I often forgot to move) and my DW735 locks through magic or something.

If I could have gotten through the Honey Do list today, I would have used my DW735 this afternoon. As it is, I hardly remember how it works.

The DW735 effectively auto locks at all four corners full time, its design is such that all free play at each of the four corner Acme posts is eliminated at all times — since there is no slop between the post threads and the threaded bushing that engages those threads a formal locking mechanism is not needed (it also helps that the posts are located at the furthest corners of the planer, increasing stability). The fact that it effectively locks on four distant corners is a major reason for the very limited, as in little to no, snipe (the most snipe I’ve ever measured was 0.001”).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors