Ridiculously easy dados

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I was taught that one should never use both the cross cut and rip guides at the same time. The spacer that is used to determine the placement of the cut should be clamped to the rip guide close to the front edge of the table so that it is no longer engaged with the work piece when the cross cut guide pushes the piece over the blade. In this case I would make a two step spacer, one for each side of the dado, but clamp it so that it positions the workpiece on the cross cut guide well before crossing the blade.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I was taught that one should never use both the cross cut and rip guides at the same time. The spacer that is used to determine the placement of the cut should be clamped to the rip guide close to the front edge of the table so that it is no longer engaged with the work piece when the cross cut guide pushes the piece over the blade. In this case I would make a two step spacer, one for each side of the dado, but clamp it so that it positions the workpiece on the cross cut guide well before crossing the blade.
In the video he explains that when making a dado there is no cutoff that could get trapped between the fence and the blade that could get kicked back.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Yes, so he’s saying don’t worry, if this does get bound up because you are not pulling the guage block back so it’s not right beside the blade, at least nothing will be thrown in your face.

Sorry, Martin, this is one of my pet peeves: if he’s going to be a teacher I feel he should take on the responsibility of considering the safety of the people he advises. You’ll notice that he has a long cross cutting guide. This makes everything safer and more stable - for him. Does he assume that all his viewers have the same setup? It doesn’t take any longer to do it in a safer way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors