Ridgid R4511 Table Saw Blade Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I have the Ridgid granite top tablesaw. I've noticed lately that the blade nut "catches" when screwing it back on. I wiggle it a little side to side and it goes on. I'd just like to get a new one. So.......every place on the web I enter the Ridgid part # says it's been discontinued. I contacted Ridgid directly and they said it's been discontinued, not available. I have the LSA on the saw and mentioned that to Ridgid in my e-mail. Of course they told me to load the saw up, take it to their authorized dealer, etc. I took the nut to them (J & S in Raleigh) and they told me it's been discontinued, unavailable. They sent me to Wilder's in Raleigh and they tried to sell me a regular thread 5/8 inch nut. The saw's only 10 years old. 5/8 inch arbor, right hand thread and appears to be square thread configuration, not Acme. Would another saw brand nut be the same? Anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just a thought: are you sure it's not the threads on the arbor instead of the nut? I assume you've already checked that.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Well I'm an idiot!! :) Ordered them. So how'd you get to a link showing they have inventory. Anything I clicked on showed out of stock, discontinued.

Tom

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Hi Bill. Yes I've taken a real close look at the arbor threads. Can't see any damage on them. But then again I pretty much can't see any damage on the nut either. It doesn't seem to happen at the same spot while screwing it on, just sort of like how I'm holding the nut when putting it on.

Tom

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Well I'm an idiot!! :) Ordered them. So how'd you get to a link showing they have inventory. Anything I clicked on showed out of stock, discontinued.

Tom

I just googled "Ridgid R4511 table saw arbor nut". 2nd or 3rd link I looked at was the one I sent you. ereplacementparts.com has been a good source for things like that for me.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Many of Sears saws were built by Emerson, and later by Ridgid. Ask who has a left tilt Craftsman, and see if nut will work. Might be worth getting model number of a Craftsman saw, and ordering a nut to fit. Nut from a left tilt Delta will probably also work.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It doesn't seem to happen at the same spot while screwing it on, just sort of like how I'm holding the nut when putting it on.

Tom

Sounds like your arbor shaft and nut have some dirt, grit, etc on the threads. Try a little mineral spirits and a tooth brush on both followed by a little teflon spray lubricant.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Many of Sears saws were built by Emerson, and later by Ridgid. Ask who has a left tilt Craftsman, and see if nut will work. Might be worth getting model number of a Craftsman saw, and ordering a nut to fit. Nut from a left tilt Delta will probably also work.

The Ridgid 4511 was built by Steel City which of course went out of business years ago. Hence the obsolete parts.

[Edit]

It's a fairly common thread and size. It just isn't basic enough to be found at most hardware stores. Fastenal would have the nut, just maybe not as thin as the original. Farm and/or industrial hardware and supply stores would have something as well.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It's a fairly common thread and size. It just isn't basic enough to be found at most hardware stores. Fastenal would have the nut, just maybe not as thin as the original. Farm and/or industrial hardware and supply stores would have something as well.
I doubt you will find this nut anywhere, but on a power tool. The threads look similar to Acme, but have a flat top. I ran into this 20+ years ago in machine shop. It's a special type of thread. Has to be exactly (well almost) 5/8" OD to fit blade, and close enough together to keep thin kerf blades from dropping into thread pitch.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
I doubt you will find this nut anywhere, but on a power tool. The threads look similar to Acme, but have a flat top. I ran into this 20+ years ago in machine shop. It's a special type of thread. Has to be exactly (well almost) 5/8" OD to fit blade, and close enough together to keep thin kerf blades from dropping into thread pitch.

I'll both agree and disagree at the same time. I've been a machinist for over 25 years. I've designed, built, and maintained many different types of machinery. The arbor used on this saw is not alien. It's not one of a kind. It's fairly common in many industrial applications and not stricken to power tools.

Ridgid no longer carries the nut because it can be found all to easily and it's not worth their hassle of having it as a stocked item.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to come across as hind parts but this kind of thing isn't as trivial as some make it out to be.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'll both agree and disagree at the same time. I've been a machinist for over 25 years. I've designed, built, and maintained many different types of machinery. The arbor used on this saw is not alien. It's not one of a kind. It's fairly common in many industrial applications and not stricken to power tools.

Ridgid no longer carries the nut because it can be found all to easily and it's not worth their hassle of having it as a stocked item.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to come across as hind parts but this kind of thing isn't as trivial as some make it out to be.
That is EXACTLY my point! Most likely other saws use the same thread pitch. As for coming across as "hind parts," you usually do!

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Tom

It's usually the manufacturer that's discontinued a part but online parts vendors may have a few lying around in their inventory.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have the Ridgid granite top tablesaw. I've noticed lately that the blade nut "catches" when screwing it back on. I wiggle it a little side to side and it goes on. I'd just like to get a new one. So.......every place on the web I enter the Ridgid part # says it's been discontinued. I contacted Ridgid directly and they said it's been discontinued, not available. I have the LSA on the saw and mentioned that to Ridgid in my e-mail. Of course they told me to load the saw up, take it to their authorized dealer, etc. I took the nut to them (J & S in Raleigh) and they told me it's been discontinued, unavailable. They sent me to Wilder's in Raleigh and they tried to sell me a regular thread 5/8 inch nut. The saw's only 10 years old. 5/8 inch arbor, right hand thread and appears to be square thread configuration, not Acme. Would another saw brand nut be the same? Anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Tom
I think this saw was recalled due to arbor breaking. Google Steel City saws and this pops up. There may be arbors from other saws that are a "drop in" fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS