Return of Roubo.....Holes-Holes-and more Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks-it's been awhile so a quick summary of where we were. All the pieces, including the top, had been laminated together and the top was flattened at Woodguy1975's shop using his fabulous belt sander. Now I knew this might sit awhile so I left the legs and stretchers a little "over" their final dimensions until I got close to assembly.
Interesting note here: The top has shrunk in width a full 1/4". When I laminated it together it was 24" wide and now it's at 23 3/4". Crazy!
So the 1st step was to finish sizing the legs to 5" square and then get the stretchers to 2 1/2" high. In doing so, my tenons ended up being 1 1/8" wide instead of 1 1/4" as in the plans. No biggy-just did some math and it all worked out.
So after that, I chamfered the bottom edges of the legs on the tablesaw 1/4":

Then I cut out the 1/2" slot in the bottom front leg to accept the front leg vise parallel guide:

Then I started marking the legs for the mortises using the stretchers (sequence #ing the process helps you to remember what goes where) and then drilled out the 8 mortises on the drill press:

Then I squared up the mortises and tested the fit:

Then over to the drill press again to drill the 3/4" holes for the Veritas Bench Dogs and screws I'll be using-Look at that Bit!!!

Then I drilled out the hole for the front leg vise/screw:

Next I drilled the 3/8" holes for the pegs: Note the holes-holes-and more holes title:gar-Bi

Then I used the peg holes to mark the tenons so I could drawbore the stretchers to the leg (notice the 1/8" offset so the peg "pulls" the stretcher tight when the peg is driven through the joint)

Then I just sawed the pegs sort of flush and finished the "flushing" with a low angle block plane:

And now... the base is done and ready to be placed on the top to mark the holes for the mortises into the top (another day's work):

Until next time.....

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looking like you are making a lot of progress ... and it looks great. Crap do I need a solid bench like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS