Retiring to full time woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 36 years as a field sales engineer selling industrial air pollution control systems primarily to steel and lead smelters, I am taking "early" retirement next Friday. I am 67 3/4 years old. I always said I would work until I was 70.

I have worked 7 days a week since 2009. At least five days for Gore and the others including vacations in my wood shop.

You can see many of the 1800 bowls I've made since 2009 here under the sold but not forgotten section: www.sandersfinewoodworking.com

I look forward to meeting many more of you now that I get a half day off every week!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Congratulations on your retirement and the pursuit of your love of woodworking. Wishing you all the best in the endeavor.

Jerry

Thanks Bill. I am so ready. I've been waiting since September of 2016. I promised my company that I would delay until the end of 2017. It has been a long wait.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Congratulations Steve, and welcome to the best days of your life! I'd rather be in my shop than on a sunny, warm beach, or a holiday cruise, or all those other places people say you've go to go to. These are my happiest days, only wish I could live to be 150.

Thanks Bruce. I agree. I've been to those places and would rather be in my shop too! I will have a shop tour/grand opening this spring. I need that long to finish getting moved in.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve congrats. Being retired is the best job I ever had. Some how I am busier more now then when I worked.

Thanks Scott. It will take me 2-3 days a week to keep my ETSY and Amazon Handmade stores stocked up. I have a few Galleries now but will focus more on that next year.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I was skeptical of retirement, and intended to work a few more years but injury, surgery, and life all had other plans. I sat at a desk until I couldn't stand it and realized it was past time in too many ways.
Took a little getting used to - at least the better part of an hour...
Congratulations Steve! Enjoy doing what makes you happy~

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Congrats, Steve. I am one-up on some of the NCWW'ers, as I have been to Steve's shop and bought a bowl from him.

gritz

New User
Robert
Interesting...I have admired your work for years while assuming you were already a full-time turner. How else could one produce that quantity of work? Now I know...

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Congratulations on retirement!!!

Great to be passionate about your work and enjoy it how and when you want.!!!!!

Been retired here for two years and still trying to figure it out. Almost half of my time goes into inexpensive health insurance (competitive cycling, racing Masters, meaning I have to stay in top physical condition) the rest is between the shop, riding motorcycles and keeping the wifey happy. The latter is also not easy, as in my profession I use to travel the globe all the time, meaning the best place these days is home all the time, while friends enjoy cruising and travelling, of which I had way too much.

I enjoy making things in the shop the way you do, but have done a few big commissions this year. Have to be careful about those, as they take one back to almost employment, as the freedom to make the way I want it is gone and then there is the responsibility of having a deliverable. The latter two takes the fun out of it.

The most important thing to remember is what the old Apple founder Steve Jobs said at the end. He believed he achieved all the goals he ever set out in life, researched every intellectual subject that came across his path but forgot the most important thing. He forgot to read the book of healthy living.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I wish I understood this retirement concept. Without getting too personal, how do you know when you have enough (assuming you're not on a pension with guaranteed income for life)? The uncertainty of the health care industry in this country is the big unknown, and scares me financially, even with Medicare. Things are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS