Retique it liquid wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
My wife is looking at refinishing some of our old furniture with retique it liquid wood. I've read mixed reviews about the product on Amazon. Anyone have any experiences with this product?

https://retiqueit.net/

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Aren’t those products intended for creating faux grain on plastic, fberglass and metal surfaces (such as when adding faux wood grain to a steel door to make it appear wooden)?

If so then such are not products that one would ordinarily use on wood products since wood products already have natural, and far more natural looking, grain. If your intention is to apply such to painted wood products then the better result, by far, is to first strip the paint and then refinish the wood to your desired appearance. No faux grain pattern is ever likely to look as good or as natural as real wood grain and, unlike faux grain, you can never wear through the grain on real wood (unless, of course, one manages to wear all the way through the wood!).

When it comes to applying faux grain to plain surfaces the quality of the result really tends to depend almost entirely upon the operator’s skill in creating a natural looking result using the graining brush/applicator and does tend to require some practice.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I agree with EThan. Unless you are covering up MDF, construction grade SYP or perhaps a filler lumber such as poplar, why would you ever paint it with a faux wood grain. If you are using a section of a piece to accent with a color that is not easily obtained using a natural wood color or have concerns for long term light stability of a dye, I always prefer natural,finished.

Opinion

Unfortunately, sites like Pentris and the trendy products like the Anne Sloan chalk paint marketing have made it fashionable to add faux finishes. I agree that much of the real wood furniture of the 70's and 80's appear very dated by today's standards. However, the millennial generation will eventually get tired of replacing the MDF IKEA like furniture made today every 5 years and real furniture will return for those that can afford it.

The interesting trend to note is the recent popularity of post modern Danish furniture of the 1960's. True quality pieces very hot right now. I build a a lot of maloof inspired pieces and my son has several pieces in his apartment in NYC. Almost everyone that sees his apartment want pieces of furniture. Unfortunately, the average 26 year old in NYC spends almost all of their money on rent and does not have expendible income to purchase either vintage post modern furniture or custom made furniture and they resort to the big box chains that make MDF knock offs that fall apart in 2 years.

it will be interesting to watch the trend as the 1970's and 1980's furnishings make a comeback and everyone starts locating pieces that were painted with Chalk paint and have then stripped and refinished. What comes around goes around but classic wood finish will always be home base.

As another example, our home was constructed in the early 1990's when white painted cabinets were the rage. this was the one thing my wife and I always hated when we purchased the home. These went out of style and fortunately now that we are ready to downsize, they are the rage again. A classic kitchen with hardwood natural finishied cabinets will come and go in "popularity" but 20 years later they will still function properly and have a level of sophistication.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It is not all fake graining for plastic, MDF etc. Some of the kits are for getting a whitewashed, weathered or french provincial look, among others. There is also colored wax like white and gold. I used to do decorative painting. Depending on the piece, this could be awesome!

Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
It is not all fake graining for plastic, MDF etc. Some of the kits are for getting a whitewashed, weathered or french provincial look, among others. There is also colored wax like white and gold. I used to do decorative painting. Depending on the piece, this could be awesome!

Indeed there are the wax finishes by the same company (and such waxes are available under a number of other names and manufacturers, like the classic Rub’n’Buff which is popular among wax ornament makers as well — which work wonderfully on detailed surfaces), but the poster was specifically inquiring about their “Liquid Wood” product line, which is a product intended for applying a faux grain finish on plastic.

I just wanted to add that bit so that we are all discussing the same product the OP inquired about since the site does include several other products. I almost discussed their waxes as that was my first thought as well until I noticed the inquiry was actually about their “liquid wood” faux graining product.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am truly not trying to be argumentative. I believe the lady in question should be asked exactly what she was looking at. It has been my experience that ... well... Just ask her.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I am truly not trying to be argumentative. I believe the lady in question should be asked exactly what she was looking at. It has been my experience that ... well... Just ask her.

Berta, I apologize if my reply came across the wrong way, I just wanted to point out the product she had specifically inquired about in her post so that we were all talking about the same product to avoid possible confusion as she had specified “liquid wood” by name in the opening post. Of course, if the OP was intending a different product entirely than the one specifically named then all they need do is let us know as we all want to help in any way we can.

jamesdcorwin

New User
Renaissance Innovations, LLC
Thank you for mentioning Retique It Liquid Wood. My Name is James Corwin, I am the CEO of Renaissance Innovations, LLC. We are the manufacturer's of Retique It Liquid Wood. This is a brand new technology that is actually real liquid wood. This is the reason we were able to patent it. Paint it on any hard surface and when it dries you have a layer of actual unstained wood. Not faux but real wood. It looks like wood, it feels like wood because it is wood. You don't have to use a graining tool on it. You can simply apply a stain like you would any wood. Not only can you paint it over wood, painted surface, mdf, etc. You can also use a wood filler to fix a piece then paint Retique it over the whole piece and stain it. As far as we know, this is the only way to stain over wood filler and have it come out perfectly uniform. We have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We live and operate out of Apex, NC. https://www.bbb.org/us/nc/apex/profile/paint/renaissance-innovations-llc-0593-90297898
Take a look at our videos. We released Retique It a year ago and our national TV ad campaign begins in 3 weeks. We are working on an exterior formula which would allow you to turn a garage door into a wood finished garage door or put a wood floor on a porch. You have nothing to loose with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! We will tell you that some stains are better than others. They all should work but we really like Varathane 3x faster wood stain, Old Masters and Sherwin Williams the best.
Take a look at our demonstration videos at videos.ReWoodIt.com

attachment.php

This farmhouse table had 2 one inch holes in it. A graining tool was used to get the raised pronounced grain. You don't have to use a graining tool if you want a more contemporary look...

Attachments

• FarmhouseTableSideBySide.jpg
    FarmhouseTableSideBySide.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 866
  • CONCRETEFLOOR-BEFORE.png
    CONCRETEFLOOR-BEFORE.png
    638.7 KB · Views: 658
  • CONCRETEFLOOR-AFTER.png
    CONCRETEFLOOR-AFTER.png
    659.4 KB · Views: 666
  • AccentWall2-Before.jpg
    AccentWall2-Before.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 774
  • AccentWall-After.jpg
    AccentWall-After.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 639
  • Dresser-WhiteWood_Before.png
    Dresser-WhiteWood_Before.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 714
  • Dresser-WhiteWood_After.jpg
    Dresser-WhiteWood_After.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 834

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
No! Everybody No! I am a girl. I started this journey as a decorative painter. I think I just might understand what the wife might be thinking. I also think I might understand what the Woodworker might be thinking. That is two different things! Please don’t misunderstand me. I think she is looking into the Pinterest stuff. Put her in contact with me!

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Thanks all. My wife wanted to paint old furniture, and thought this might be a good alternative to chalk paint. The woodworker in me is strongly opposed to the idea of painting wood, but she wants to try her hand at painting the old pieces, so I'm not going to stand in her way. I'll pass on the advice posted here.

-Yogi

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll pass on the advice posted here.

-Yogi

I'll add a few comments. I'm a chemist and I'm always curious about how and why things work, particularly innovative new products.

1. The Liquid Wood product is mysterious to me. I assume that it's a water borne suspension of "real wood" fibers in some sort of a matrix other than just plain water to adhere to another surface (plastic, metal, or wood). However, I can't find a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for this product which is strange. Even most chalk paints have an SDS if they're being sold.

2. The product is not patented yet but is "patent pending" with no guarantee that a US patent will be granted.

jamesdcorwin

New User
I'll add a few comments. I'm a chemist and I'm always curious about how and why things work, particularly innovative new products.

1. The Liquid Wood product is mysterious to me. I assume that it's a water borne suspension of "real wood" fibers in some sort of a matrix other than just plain water to adhere to another surface (plastic, metal, or wood). However, I can't find a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for this product which is strange. Even most chalk paints have an SDS if they're being sold.

2. The product is not patented yet but is "patent pending" with no guarantee that a US patent will be granted.

Hi Jeff,
I am not the chemist that come up with the product. His name is Christopher Boest. He has partnered with my company for the manufacturing and marketing. The full US utility patent went through in Jan of this year. Patent Number 9932496.
SDS Sheet is attached.

Sincerely
James Corwin

Attachments

• RETQ-MSDS.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 530

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I am not the chemist that come up with the product. His name is Christopher Boest. He has partnered with my company for the manufacturing and marketing. The full US utility patent went through in Jan of this year. Patent Number 9932496.
SDS Sheet is attached.

Sincerely
James Corwin

Thanks James.

I looked at the SDS and it only has 7% wood dust with other fillers and solvents so it's not much real wood.

This is a brand new technology that is actually real liquid wood. This is the reason we were able to patent it. Paint it on any hard surface and when it dries you have a layer of actual unstained wood.

Did Mr. Boest feed you this line about "it's real wood" that you're quoting and now trying to market? Provisional utility patents are filed with the US PTO but aren't issued yet.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/christopher-r-boest

Last edited:

jamesdcorwin

New User
[FONT=&quot][h=6]Liquefied wood coating[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Patent number: 9932496
Abstract: Disclosed are various embodiments relating to a liquefied wood coating that can be applied to virtually any surface. The liquefied wood coating contains a micronized wood powder, a non-elastomeric resin with high adhesion properties, and an elastomeric resin for flexibility. Once dried, the wood coating accepts stain, polyurethane, and other types of coatings to provide a real wood finish.
Type: Grant
Filed: January 21, 2015
Date of Patent: April 3, 2018
Assignee: ADVANCED WOOD PAINT, LLC
Inventor: Christopher R. Boest
[/FONT]

Looks like it was granted April 3...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
This sounds like a great new product. I cannot wait to try it. I wonder if it could be put into a film product that would work with the new hydro-dipping process. Imagine creating something out of carbon fiber and then hydro-dipping it with a film that made it look like cherry burl. Also wondering if it could be produced in a solid thread that could be melted in a 3d printer. I could try either or both in my shop. Thanks

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Thank you James for coming to our site and sharing information about your product. We appreciate your engagement with the community.

jamesdcorwin

New User
Thanks James.

I looked at the SDS and it only has 7% wood dust with other fillers and solvents so it's not much real wood.

Did Mr. Boest feed you this line about "it's real wood" that you're quoting and now trying to market? Provisional utility patents are filed with the US PTO but aren't issued yet.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/christopher-r-boest

Hi Jeff,
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck then maybe it's a duck.
If it looks like wood, feels like wood and has the durability of wood then maybe it's wood...
It is my belief that until you have actually used Retique It Liquid Wood maybe your opinion is not the best to go by. We have thousands of customers who have the opposite opinion, some have used it on hundreds of pieces as part of their business. Since they have come to their conclusions after using the product, I tend to give their opinion more weight than someone who dismisses it out of hand. I personally have used this product on many pieces and feel that your opinion does not persuade me over my experience.

Sincerely
James C.

jamesdcorwin

New User
This sounds like a great new product. I cannot wait to try it. I wonder if it could be put into a film product that would work with the new hydro-dipping process. Imagine creating something out of carbon fiber and then hydro-dipping it with a film that made it look like cherry burl. Also wondering if it could be produced in a solid thread that could be melted in a 3d printer. I could try either or both in my shop. Thanks

Wow! You have some ideas that are truly forward thinking. I'm going to take your questions to our team of chemists! Considering I live in Apex and you live in Raleigh I would love for you come by our new Retique It Resource Center and get the opportunity to meet you. Our Resource Center is in Apex by Ten Ten Road and Hwy 1. Send me a message if you are interested.

Sincerely
James Corwin
PS Our Resource Center has many pieces finished with Retique it you can check out before you decide to purchase some.

jamesdcorwin

New User
Thank you for having me. Our website showed a spike of traffic coming from this thread so it lead me to check it out. I'm usually focused on national forums. It's enjoyable being on one here in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS