Results of carving class with Mark Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I attended the carving class taught by Mark Strom last weekend. Thanks again to both Mark for the instruction and Bobby G for the hospitality. It was a great time!

I didn't manage to finish my carving at the class but I found an hour or two last night. Here is what I ended up with :)

I haven't applied any finish yet. Not 100% sure what I want to do in that regard...

I also cheated a little bit. I sanded the flower itself as I didn't think my tool marks added anything :).

If you ever wanted to try your hand at carving I do recommend a class with Mark.
Thanks!
Salem

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kinda makes me wish I hadn't spent so much time at the Klingspor Extravaganza on the lathe and watched Mark some. Nice work.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Salem,

There you go again! Nice job. I believe that you are the first to complete their panel.

bobby g

stave

New User
stave
Outstanding work and the carving came out really great. Bear in mind that there is no such thing as cheating in carving and if there is I certainly won't admit to it. There is no right way or wrong way...there is only the way that works for you. Don't get me started on the philosophical points of carving!

I would sand the bottom of the flower as well only so that whatever finish you apply will make the entire flower look the same. I like the carving marks everywhere else and would definitely leave them. They add a lot of character and life to the piece. You should be proud of the work!

Stave

b4man

New User
Barbara
+1 for taking a class with Stave! Salem you did a beautiful job with your piece! Makes me want to abandon my other projects and finish my carving!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good job :icon_thum

For a finish I'd be tempted to try a very thin coat of green dye on the leaves and stems and maybe bleach the flower to make it whiter.

pete

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Salem, where do you find the time. First the stool, now the carving. And I know you have a house full of children running around that demand a lot of time. :gar-La; Man, my hat is off to you. :notworthy:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS