Resaw options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadking

New User
LR
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and NC , I need to resaw Blach Walnut 2 3/8 x10" x6' to 1 3/4-1 7/8 in thickness I doing really want to plane all that material to saw dust I have@ 7 boards whats my best options ?? Thanks for your help Larry

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've experienced having to plane as much as 3/8" off some of my rough stock to get past deep mill marks. So, I plane down until I get a smooth surface on both sides and then decide whether to resaw or plane some more.

Happy New Year

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hard to say without seeing your wood. Like Joe said sometime you need to plane off a lot of wood to get the stock square enough to resaw.

BTW if you do plane it down don't through the walnut chips in your mulch pile.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and NC , I need to resaw Blach Walnut 2 3/8 x10" x6' to 1 3/4-1 7/8 in thickness I doing really want to plane all that material to saw dust I have@ 7 boards whats my best options ?? Thanks for your help Larry

I can't tell from your question if you would like someone to resaw the stock for you or just wonder if resawing is a good option.

What finished dimensions do you need? If you want to end up 1.5" thick x 8" wide x 70" long pieces then edge joint, rough rip to 8" wide on BS, face joint one side, and resaw to 1.75" thick. Sticker the stock for a few days then face joint and plane to 1.60" thick. Sticker for a few days then face joint, plane to 1.50" thick. Now edge joint and rip to finished width on TS, then cross cut as needed.

Some will face joint, resaw, plane down to 1.5" in one fell swoop. My experience is that wood sometimes moves after you remove stock. Also important to expose all sides of the stock to avoid warp, twist, etc.

If you don't have the machinery and need help just ask. I'll bet someone will give you a hand.

Chuck

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Larry - good to hear from you!

Lots of good advice thus far - I think that Chuck hit the nail on the head.

If you need to use my bandsaw, you're welcome to stop by the farm.

Regards,

Scott

roadking

New User
LR
Thanks , my bandsaw won't handle this but I will plane it within a 1/4 of finish then if their is enough stock left resaw, I might take you up on that Scott, thanks for the advice Chuck ,have a good day :saw:Larry

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I would face-joint and edge joint one side, let the wood rest a couple days, rejoint if necessary, then resaw off whatever will leave you with 1/8-1/4" excess on the "good" stock.

What Chuck describes is the safest way to approach it and the right strategy if this material needs to be as stable as possible. Most stock doesn't need to be super-stable..there's usually a way(s) to control some warpage mechanically if it occurs. For example, a table skirt can pull some warp out of a table-top.

I like to use the thin 'waste' material for cabinet-backs and laminations.

If you opt to go the resaw route, I can offer the use of my bandsaw. If you want to keep the boards full-width, I also have a 12" jointer.

-Mark

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
It's always fascinating to consider that somewhere in the past such work was done by hand. It still could be but who has the patience much less the skill or the tools.

Just a musing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS