Resaw help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have some really nice cherry that I would like to get resawed. It is 20 years old and from the same tree. Most of the boards (13 total) are 8" to 12" wide and 8' long surfaced on both sides and pretty straight. They are all 1.5" thick so ideally if split down the middle the resulting boards will be slightly less than 3/4" which is fine for my purposes. Anyone have a band saw that can handle this within a hour or two of Rocky Mount? Lets work a deal.

Thanks,
Jeff

eyekode

New User
Salem
Jeff,
I can only resaw 10" (18" Jet BS). You are welcome to use it but my guess is you will find someone closer with larger resaw.

However if your boards are right now 1.5" you will be real lucky to get 5/8 boards out of it resawing. Sometimes there is tension in there and resawing will make them cup in which case you will be lucky to get 1/2". Good luck!
Salem

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I can live with 5/8 or 1/2. I get double the wood for my cabinets. I will keep your kind offer in mind. Your right a larger saw would be good.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
You could always rip 2" off of the 12" widths... could probably use the strips for Face Frames, etc.

... just an idea...

Resawing the strips would be a piece of cake too...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
My Grizzly says it will do 12", but I haven't asked it to do that so far. I did re-saw an 8" maple board today. It was about 2-3/16" thick and I got two 1" thick boards out of it after re-saw and planing.

I'd be willing to try to re-saw your boards, but I can't make any promises as to yield.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would be willing but no guarantee of the outcome. If you have a project in mind cutting to rough lengths and widths makes things a lot easier on both the saw and the operator. The thinner you get the more cupping and warping come in to play. for 5/8-1/2" stock I wouldn't go over 6" in width. You can always book match the pieces and glue back together. PM if you want to give it a shot. I am available tomorrow afternoon. after noon for me = anytime after 8am........:-D just ask Jeff Mills!

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Well now I am not sure what to do. I could rip them all to 8" in width but hate to cut them shorter until I need to. They are 7' now. I have a Wood Slicer blade (great blade) on my Delta bandsaw but it only goes to 6" but works great. My other choice was to rip them on the table saw which would leave a 2 " middle piece that I could finish on the band saw and then plane off the resulting ridge in the middle. Ideally I would only loose a 1/8" of stock.

:dontknow:

eyekode

New User
Salem
I like to leave my stock as big as possible until I have a project that makes me cut it. You might just want to sit on it. Would be a shame if down the road you wanted to make a table and needed leg stock.
Salem

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
At 1-1/2" thick, you may be able to get one piece 3/4" and one 1/2", after planing. I have re-sawed thick pieces to under ~7/8" and ended up with a nice smooth 3/4" board after planing. You just have to make sure you have a square flat edge before running them through the bandsaw.

If you want to bring a board or two over, we can run 'em through and see what we get.

You may want to talk to Scott Smith. He has a monster Grizzly bandsaw that would make quick work of your stock. I'm sure he can cut your boards for a reasonable fee. That may be the way to go to get the best yield.

g0504.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, I can probably take care of that for you. Send me an e-mail when you have a minute with your contact info, and we can work out the details.

I'm about 30 minutes SW of Raleigh.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS