Resaw and planing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

N00B

New User
Jeff
Hi Everyone!
I am a newbie woodworker on my second project. I am taking on a desktop humidor to give to my brother for his birthday (early March). I am following the free plan from Fine Woodworking Magazine here: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDFfree/humidor.pdf A friend a work suggested I post a request for help here. I picked up some rough cut Spanish Cedar that I need to have recut and planed to different thicknesses. Out of the ~13" wide 6/4 board, I need: 3.5' x 9/16" x 5", 3.5' x 3/16" x 3", and 2' x 3/16" x 8". Is there anyone in close proximity to High Point with a large enough band saw and a planer or >8" joiner that would be willing to help me out?

Actually, let me take a step back...what is the best way to get the lumber i need from the boards I have?
Should I try to recut on my friend's saw mill?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How long is the board?

I would go with a bandsaw, I think a sawmill will take out more in the kerf.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Jeff
This is basic resaw work on a bandsaw. From the dimensions you gave and the wood you are using it can be done easily on a smaller bandsaw with a resaw blade. Maybe someone is close to you??

From 6/4 stock you can resaw a little oversize and plane to specs.

Dan

N00B

New User
Jeff
Correction on the dimensions: 5/4, 11.25" wide and 6.5' long (but there's a 6" crack down the middle of one end)

N00B

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the quick responses and advice everyone.

Is there anyone near High Point with an appropriately sized bandsaw + resaw blade that would be willing to resaw this for me? I also need a planer that could plane my boards for me? Just private message fee and availability, please.

Jeff

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Nothing that you have asked for requires a greater than 8" jointer as your widest desired board is 8" (which most 8" jointers will handle just fine), so that should expand your opportunities for help.

The real question will be whether or not you have enough source material to get all the wood you need since you do not mention the length or quality of the 13" source lumber as a fair bit will be lost in the resawing and jointing and planing operations (which is why thinner stock typically costs much more per board foot than thicker stock...until you reach thicker stock that also increases in cost due to limited yield versus demand, which is why 4/4 to 8/4 stock is often most favorably priced). For example, out of a 1" thick 4/4 board you can expect to get two 1/4" planks, or a 1/4" and a 3/8" planks (if really pushing things), or potentially two 1/2" planks from 6/4 lumber (though such is really pushing things with very limited buffer thickness), if the source is near perfect (free of cup, bow or twist)

Exactly how much waste versus yield you get depends both upon how close to perfect the source lumber is, how close the 6/4 lumber is to a true 1-1/2" (there is a fair tolerance as to what constitutes 6/4), as well as whether or not there is any internal stress within the lumber that gets released when the lumber is resawn and rethicknessed that would require added thickness to be preserved during resaw to allow for prior to final thicknessing (which is best done a few days to a week after the initial resawing and rough thicknessing to allow the new stock to a climate to current humidity levels prior to final thicknessing) and how much risk one is willing to accept in an effort to get more resawn and thicknesses stock by skimping on the amount of buffer thickness is preserved as well as any defects within the board that one may have to work around (like knots).

That said, if your source lumber is clear and true in thickness, that is nearly 1.5", and free of defects like bow, twist, and cupping, that can cost a lot in thicknessng if such defects are present, then you should be able to secure your three lengths of resawn lumber from a single 4ft length, with some potentially useful leftover bits. First cut it down to 12" so that it is more easily resawn and to true the edges, then resaw for the 9/16" thickness by resawing to about 7/8" thick, then thickness and rip to the desired 5", then use the remaining thickness of the second half of your lumber to produce a thicknessed 3/16" board that is then ripped to 8" and 3" (or ripped and then thicknessed afterwards, whichever is most convenient).

Enjoy! Afterwards, if you get drawn into the process and convenience of resawing and thicknessing (which really can be quite fun), then you may eventually decide to acquire the same gear for yourself as such really does open up many possibilities when you need unusual thicknesses or are looking for a precise fit when repairing furniture that has been damaged or wish to stock up on 4/4 to 8/4 lumber from which you may then produce just about any lumber that a given project may require on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors