REQUEST: Dado Blade Recommendations

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Onto my next purchase: dado blade.

As I am new to all this, searching the internet can be a blessing and a curse when looking for recommendations. I've found reviews that are all over the place without any seeming consistency unless I'm willing to spend several hundred dollars.

I'm looking to not spend more than $120 on a dado set, as I'm not using it on any fine hardwoods just yet, and would appreciate any suggestions y'all might have. I am leaning towards this set: Oshlun SDS-0842 8-Inch 42 Tooth Stack Dado Set with 5/8-Inch Arbor [https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SDS-0842-8-Inch-Tooth-Stack/dp/B0012YF25Q]

Thanks!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Oshlun set you linked to. Very nice set, well made with good materials.
I got my set in 2010 and have not yet had to sharpen any of the cutters. I don't use it a lot, but enough that I think the cutters stay sharp for a long time.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have a Freud 6" set that's easily configured for different cut widths. The blades interlock so there's no wobble and a 6" diameter is plenty for most dados.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have the Oshlun set as well. It works well with plywood and solid wood. The included spacers are clearly marked and make adjustments simple.

FlyingRon

Ron
I've got an 8" Freud set that I picked up at Klingspor a few years back. It's worked well for me. They give you a nice little reference sheet that tells you what blades/chippers/spacers you need to make up any particular width.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
+1 for the Oshlun set. I've had mine for maybe 6 years and use it fairly often. Just used it last week. It's still sharp. I use it on my Porter Cable PCS-270TS 110v 10" saw and I've never bogged it down using the Oshlun.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have had good performance from Oshlun saw blades so I see no reason to avoid their dado set. But my current "best" dado set is the cheapest Freud, 6 inch. I need a new one for my SawStop - which needs a 8 inch set. I will probably get another Freud but I might go Oshlun. I use my Freud in hardwood plywood and other materials that tend to chip out. I use a zero clearance plate and get good enough performance (i.e. minimal chipout) I see no reason for a more expensive set.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS