Reputation vs Skill vs Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Now that I have a lathe I am going to take an all day beginners course from either Woodcraft or Klingspor. They are having a class the same day in Jan. the one at Woodcraft is with Alan Leland for $85 and the one at Klingspor is with Frank Penta for $45. I have seen both Alan and Frank turn and both are good. Is Alan twice as good (for a beginner) as Frank? Or is it 'reputation' as he also teaches at a couple of the big woodworking schools? If it is general opinion that Alan is that much better then I have no problem spending the money, but I just want to make sure that I will be learning almost twice as much. I will also be taking the turning tool sharpening class at Woodcraft.

George

EDIT:
I happened to think that you may not wish to share your thoughts openly due to friendships or other relationships. If that is the case I would still like to know your thoughts so please send me a PM that I will keep private.

George

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have heard of both guys, and seen some of their work and they are both very good. I think that decision would come down to teaching style, and how many students there will be in the class, if what is being taught in the classes are equal. If I had the time to spare I would consider taking both classes, you can never learn to much. What ever you decide please post a review of the class, I am very interested in hearing how they go and what is covered. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Since you know both folks, or at least their work, I would definitely check on the class size. I would highly recommend a class of not more than 4-5. You will want to get as much individual attention and be able to participate in other's experiences. This can be difficult with too many students. You will learn different techniques, sometimes small differences sometimes big differences, from every instructor you have. Then you'll sort out what works best for you. I'm sure one or the other place will have the same class the following month.

Please keep up posted about which class you take, if you take both, and how you like it/them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors