Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Alan likes to hide his light under a bushel, as it were. Should we invite him out to play on this one? I think I will.....

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually I think Alan is learning. I see this as self moderation on his part. Yes he could not leave the topic alone but I see his comment as not agreeing with something said but doing it in a civil manner. Let's watch this closely.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I agree with just watching. There are some folks, Allan included, who have gone a bit over the line on this topic but this was a civil post. While I do think we should consider history, we have to be careful about over-reacting because of history.

Glennbear

Glenn
As one who was directly involved when Alan was last carrying on about dust collection the way he sees it I say leave things alone. His post gives a really good clue to where he would like to hijack the thread which would be farrrrrrrrrrr off the subject of cleaning a filter. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got this PM from Alan. My post was only up a few minutes before I removed it. Curious as to how he saw it under those circumstances as I didn't think he was online at the time:

Dennis,

I see that you or another Mod decided to remove your post:
But _what_, Alan? We're here to try and teach/learn from each other, right?
If not, ........... where will we find the info?

You may or may not be aware that I posted an on-topic, factual response to a dust collection thread earlier this year. It seems an North Carolina Woodworker member did not want to hear what I had to say, but decided to do more than just ignore it. He apparently had personal issues with me as well, though we had never spoken or met, so posted a response that was an egregious personal attack on me. In addition to being extremely rude, it violated numerous forum policies. At my request, a moderator removed his post. But, what troubled me the most, this individual was and still is an North Carolina Woodworker moderator!!! For personal and practical reasons I have since terminated my active participation in North Carolina Woodworker threads.

If you are interested I can forward you the text of the offending post.

Alan

I don't feel a dialogue with him at this juncture would be edifying.
I'll give it a few days to simmer until I collect some more civil thoughts on the issue not aimed at Alan.

M

McRabbet

I've been away for the past five days and missed reading this thread (I took my laptop with me but found I could not get an Internet connection where I was). Alan's post was harmless and showed strong restraint on his part -- I'm certain he wanted to let folks realize that very few conventional dust collectors can remove the fine dust from the air stream before it gets to the filter -- a well-designed cyclone can remove those fines and not cake up a filter. His PM response to Dennis has conveyed his personal position regarding a past encounter. Despite some efforts back then to sooth some ruffled feathers (I spent an hour on the phone with him back then), he has chosen not to participate in DC discussions.

Unfortunately, I sense he interpreted Dennis' post as an invitation to "fish or cut bait". I'm sorry we have lost his wisdom.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I've been away for the past five days and missed reading this thread (I took my laptop with me but found I could not get an Internet connection where I was). Alan's post was harmless and showed strong restraint on his part -- I'm certain he wanted to let folks realize that very few conventional dust collectors can remove the fine dust from the air stream before it gets to the filter -- a well-designed cyclone can remove those fines and not cake up a filter. His PM response to Dennis has conveyed his personal position regarding a past encounter. Despite some efforts back then to sooth some ruffled feathers (I spent an hour on the phone with him back then), he has chosen not to participate in DC discussions.

Unfortunately, I sense he interpreted Dennis' post as an invitation to "fish or cut bait". I'm sorry we have lost his wisdom.

I don't think I would classify his post as "restraint". In my opinion, it was trolling. I didn't take any action, because he didn't cross the line. I just wanted everyone to be aware of the possibility of someone grabbing the bait.

He always seems to answer the question "how do I fix my Toyota?" with "Buy a Cadillac". In this particular thread, the OP wanted to know about cleaning the Wynn filter. "Go buy an expensive cyclone system" is not a legitimate answer... IMHO.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Bob's assessment of Alan's answers is spot on. I try and examine any input from members here and hope to give and take advice from other WWers as a peer. I don't believe Alan thinks he's our peer. I do feel he has wisdom that can be shared by the membership here, if he could only do it from a less condescending position.
I removed my reply to Alan's post after weighing it against what Lincoln would call "the angels of our better nature" (and ScottM's suggestion). It still befuddles me as to how he was able to access it after it was deleted. Any ideas on how to delete threads differently?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'm guessing he had an email subscription to the thread and was online but not logged into ncww when you posted. He would have had time to log in and see it that way.

Travis

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess I'd better start counting to 10 before I hit the submit button. :eek:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I don't think I would classify his post as "restraint". In my opinion, it was trolling. I didn't take any action, because he didn't cross the line. I just wanted everyone to be aware of the possibility of someone grabbing the bait.

He always seems to answer the question "how do I fix my Toyota?" with "Buy a Cadillac". In this particular thread, the OP wanted to know about cleaning the Wynn filter. "Go buy an expensive cyclone system" is not a legitimate answer... IMHO.

I have to agree with Bob. Alan was trolling; looking to stir up another melee. I think his megalomaniacal tone in his PM to Dennis bears this out. I don't care how much wisdom he, or anybody else, thinks he has; that kind of of an attitude has a significantly deleterious effect on the whole membership. I do find it curious that he has no interest in participating and yet monitors the forum so closely, that he can respond so quickly to Dennis.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ray and Bob I would have to say that I am in agreement with both of your thoughts. Rob, I don't think that Alan was exercising restraint but possibly looking for "permission" so to speak... But that is just one man's opinion.

Glennbear

Glenn
Ray and Bob I would have to say that I am in agreement with both of your thoughts. Rob, I don't think that Alan was exercising restraint but possibly looking for "permission" so to speak... But that is just one man's opinion.

+1

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I guess I'd better start counting to 10 before I hit the submit button. :eek:

Dennis, it's been a while since I had email notification turned on for thread subscriptions so I enbled it just to test. Unlike PM notifications it actually sends the full contents of the post in the email. So, looks like that explains it.

I'm with you, count to 10 (or 50) before submitting.... I've done a few quick deletes myself...

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS