Replacing deck boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
In the next couple of weeks I want to replace my deck boards and since I have never done this before, I hope some members will weigh in and give me some pointers. I will remove the original two byes and replace them with 5/4 treated boards. Wish I could afford the trex stuff but at about 30 bucks each, I can't afford that kind of money. I also want to use screws to put it down so hopefully it won't take a notion to come loose any time soon. So, how about it, any pointers?

Mike

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've always found it beneficial to install deck boards 'bark side up'. Look at the grain pattern endwise and keep the center rings turned down. This way, any cupping will not invite ring separation splinters.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If the original decking is 2x material you may be disappointed in the performance of the 5/4 decking. You may want to try it over a small section and see how much bounce you get.

bholcombe

New User
Ben
You need to make sure that the strength of the decking material is suitable for the span of the joists. Angled decking requires closer joists than perpendicular ones. Same thing goes for 5/4" vs 2" thick decking as the maximum span is not the same.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Check the pricing too. I've found that PT 2x6 is often times cheaper than 5/4 decking.

GeorgeM

New User
George
If you check pricing you can get 2 by boards at the same price or cheaper than 5/4 boards and they make a more sturdy deck.

I am fixing to start replacing the boards on my deck and this is the way I am planning on going.

Have a Blessed day.
George

Glennbear

Glenn
Make sure your fastener choice is compatible with the PT lumber. With the reformulation of the PT process electrolysis and fastener degradation has become a problem. :wsmile:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Before you say you can't afford Trex or similare, compare the annual maintenance costs, which are Zero for the composites.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Don't know how your deck board are fastened to the joists, screws are not easy to remove, screw shank nails are next to impossible. Take a 3/4" hole saw on a drill and drill a hole around each fastener just off center to the fastener. You can then remove the board and cut off the screws/nails with a sawzall.

gritz

New User
Robert
Some tips...
Use a hidden fastener system if possible. The acids that form around any thru fasteners limit the acceptable life of decking before the useful life of the wood occurs; especially 2x decking. I believe 5/4 decking is more stable, and used treated cypress for my deck.
Screws thru deck boards may "stand proud" after a time of weathering.
All composites will form "mould bloom" under certain conditions. This occurs when the wood fiber is nor perfectly coated or sealed in the recycled plastic. Nothing will reach all areas to kill or remove it.
Use TWP sealer after six months on any new wood decking.

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
I just read a lot of good comments on replalcing these deck boards. Years ago, I was replacing my 5/4 deck boards with new deck boards. After doing half of my deck on my hands and knees screwing the deck boards in, I went inside the house and the TV tuned to a DIY show. On the show they were putting in a deck and they were using a screw gun. The person was standing up using this screw gun to put the screws in. He was putting in a screw about every five seconds. I immediately went to Home Depot and rented a screw gun and bought the right type of screws to load into the gun and finished screwing in my deck boards in about 1/10 the time is was taking me to do them on my knees. So if you decide on regular deck boards and you plan on screwing them in from the top, go rent a screw gun. As I remember it was not very expensive and it's just so much easier to do.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Before you say you can't afford Trex or similare, compare the annual maintenance costs, which are Zero for the composites.

+1 for Trex. :icon_thum Built our house in '99 and the Trex has never had anything done to it other than powerwashing it once a year. Not cheap, but, VERY durable!! :wsmile:

Leave a space between the boards just as you would with PT lumber. Conceal the screws if possible on whatever you choose.

bholcombe

New User
Ben
I have a trex deck that I built about threee years ago, after they supposedly fixed the problem with mildew and mold growing on it. Not really the case, after I clean the deck, it only takes 2-3 months before the dark spots return (all over the deck, looks really bad). Didn't have that problem on my old PT deck. The only thing I've found that can even get the spots off is a caustic solution sprayed all over it and scrubbed. I had hoped for no maintenance on my Trex, that did not turn out to be the case.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
I had hoped for no maintenance on my Trex, that did not turn out to be the case.

Sad to say I have the same problem. My Trex deck is about 5 years old. I'm not sure if the installation was done properly by the contractor(tight joints). Our dock was recovered last year with Rhino and so far it looks better than Trex. Still some evidence of moldy spots in some areas.

I'm not sure there is anything that truly can be called "maintenance free".:nah:

Good luck,

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
re: pricing and using 2 bys vs. 5/4... Grading is everything. I'm rebuilding my deck as well. You might find this useful.

Home Depot's Online prices for PT wood 6" decking.

I hunted through all 100 items in their decking pages and pulled out the 6" wide PT decking lumber.

They really mixed up the naming of the different products... many are the same products under multiple descriptions. All cells with the same color are the same sku, but sold under a slightly different name. (Use the SKUs in-store, so you can compare to what they actually stock locally.)

Note in particular the "5/4 PT Lumber" vs. the "5/4 Premium" (same products).

And note that 2-by "Premium" is less expensive than "5/4 Premium", but more than the 5/4 Standard.

HD_2011_Apr_30_6-in_decking.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS