Replacement Sawstop Professional Cabinet Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Klingspor picked up my previous Sawstop Professional 3hp Cabinet Saw that was have problems starting and delivered a replacement saw today. Klingspor tossed in an extra brake - I appreciate that very much. I learned from my first Sawstop saw that the most difficult part of adjusting the blade/miter slot alignment is having to work under the left and right extension tables. This time decided to check the blade/miter slot alignment before installing the extension tables. The blade was out of alignment with the miter slots by .007". In the real world of cabinet saws, anything under .010" is considered pretty good.

With most cabinet saws you are relegated to loosening the top and tapping it with a dead-blow hammer. It works, but it is really hard to get the blade to under .003" and really fine adjustments are you are re-tightening the bolts that attach the top to the cabinet base is frustrating. Sawstop has the most elegant and accurate system to adjust the top to align the miter slots to the blade that I have ever seen. You loosen the top bolts than you use a hex wrench to move machine screws on either side at the rear of the saw to move the top into a very precise alignment. You can continue to adjust the machine screws as you tighten the top to achieve virtually perfect results.

After putting your first Sawstop saw together, the second time goes a lot faster. I'm really backed up on my woodworking projects. Getting the new saw up an running is going to let me catch up on building two work benches for the shop and making about forty drawers.

Pete

Attachments

• New Sawstop alignment.jpg
    New Sawstop alignment.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 151

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
That's great Pete. I hope this one works flawless. Sounds like the SawStop alignment is very easy. I set up my PM 1000 last night. I must brag that I had the blade and fence dialed in in about 40 minutes. The blade is .001 and fence within .002. I was actually proud of myself because I've never been able to get my 334-450 Delta better than .004-.006. Powermatic out of the crate was dead on with tilt dial in. My first new saw ever and love it. Fence lock is very tight and holds adjustment great compared to the Bessy I had. Good luck with your new saw.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
KUDOS to Klingspor!
Guessing, just guessing that Sawstop did not pay for the brake and this a display of their excellent customer service.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
YEAH KLINGSPOR!! This shows importance of buying from LOCAL dealer. Quick serve and solution to a problem. Had Klingspor been contacted originally, most likely problem would have been solved quicker. Again, YEAH KLINGSPOR!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I am assuming that Klingspor threw in the brake. The tech from Sawstop called me yesterday to see how the new saw was doing and he never mentioned it.

Pete

KUDOS to Klingspor!
Guessing, just guessing that Sawstop did not pay for the brake and this a display of their excellent customer service.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am assuming that Klingspor threw in the brake. The tech from Sawstop called me yesterday to see how the new saw was doing and he never mentioned it.

Pete

GREAT that the tech followed up! (I know that should be the standard proceedure) but I am shocked these days when I get standard customer service!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I didn't have time until later in the evening yesterday to get back on the saw assembly. I was able to adjust the blade/miter slot alignment to 0.000" Granted, anything under .003" is pretty much perfect on a table saw. But it is just so easy to adjust a Sawstop table that I decided to get it as precise as I could. As I stated in an earlier post, making this adjustment without the table extensions installed is so easy to do. You can do it standing up, not crouched under extensions.

Pete

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I had a little time when I arrived home tonight so I decided to install the cast iron extensions on the saw. The extensions on the first saw were not completely flat. That is certainly not uncommon with table and cabinet saws. On the first saw I set the extension flush with the saw table over the two inside bolts, then after tightening the bolts I used clamps to flex the extension at the front and the back, then I tightened the outside bolts. This took a few attempts to get the extension and the saw table to within .001". The left extension on the new saw was practically perfect with no clamping needed at all. The right extension was perfect from the back to the farthest inside bolt. I had to use a clamp to pull the extension down by .001" before tightening the bolt. That was some impressive machining.

Unless something unexpected crops up tomorrow, the saw should be completely assembled, calibrated and ready to go by the end of the day.

After completing the extensions I plugged the saw in and it fired up with no fatal error messages.

Pete

Attachments

• sawstop1.jpg
    sawstop1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Sawstop2.jpg
    Sawstop2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 124

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I finished the assembly and calibration of the replacement Sawstop cabinet saw this evening. When we swapped out the old saw, I kept the previous fence (it had been tapped for JessEM outfeed rollers) and the extension bars with the fence tube. When I put them on the new saw the fence was in perfect alignment with the miter slots. I gave it a coat of Boeshield tonight and it will be ready to go to work tomorrow.

I posted on another thread that I put a square of 3/4" stall mat under the saw. The saw sits on it very solidly and there is no need to shim the saw base because of any unevenness in the concrete floor that it is sitting on. I have used stall mat under clothes washers and dryers that were installed on wood floors for many years, primarily to absorb vibration. It works great under heavy shop tools too.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS