Replacement Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I need to order new knives for my planer and jointer. These are common items where is a good place to order from?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Global Tooling, or Holbern. Both carry Titian brand. I had great success with the Titian brand. Way cheaper than OEM's. Competitive with sharpening. For sharpening check out Dynamic Saw in Buffalo. They are my go to source.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Global Tooling, or Holbern. Both carry Titian brand. I had great success with the Titian brand. Way cheaper than OEM's. Competitive with sharpening. For sharpening check out Dynamic Saw in Buffalo. They are my go to source.

Thanks bruce :thumbup:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Global Tooling certainly has a very good reputation for third-party knives at less than OEM prices, as well as carbide knives for many models. If you go this route, be sure to carefully measure your existing knives for length, thickness and *original* height as there are many common combinations. Many jointers, but not all, for example, have knives that are 1/8" longer than the jointer's claimed width to ensure the full cutting width is available to the user when rabbeting, while others are exactly the claimed width; some are 1" high while others are 3/4" or 3/32" thick versus the more typical 1/8", etc. Like many things in woodworking, accurately measuring first avoids the hassle of assumptions.

However, if you are looking for OEM knives you can order/buy from Woodcraft if it is a model they carry, or if it is a common knife dimension. Also, Amazon carries OEM and generic third-party knives for many manufacturers at better than typical retail prices.

TLJ

New User
TJ
I just replaced knifes on my 1950s 12" planer. Ordered from Amazon and shipped from company in Hickory, NC. They fit well in my father's old planer but have not yet used. Took me a while to install, getting the knifes adjusted without the tool designed for the machine was a task. They looked to be of good quality but only come in pairs, I needed three. Total cost was just under $90 and I have one extra knife.

bguil

New User
beeg
I use Dispozablades for my jointer and planer. There is an up front cost for the system, but after that, the blades are cheap and disposable (double edge 8" jointer knifes for $36). Even better, I can change blades in 10 minutes; the system eliminates any fussing or adjustment with blade setting.
http://www.estausa.com/index.html
beeg

CLetts

New User
Carl
I usually start with searches on Amazon and eBay. Replacement knives for "brand/model" should get some kind of hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors