replacement jointer knives

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Due to my recent encounter with plywood edges, I am in need of new jointer knives. The generic replacement blades I installed may have been part of the problem. I'm looking for a source of decent quality blades. Any suggestions?

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have the ESTA diposable blades on my 16" jointer. These blades had been installed on a 1948 J.A. Fay & Egan 16" jointer prior to my aquisition.
I have flipped the blades since. I really like these blades.
I have recently bought the setup for my Powermatic 16" planer, but haven't installed them yet.
Initially the cost is higher than standard HSS blades, but replacement blades are cheaper than having HSS blades sharpened.

Joe

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Your old jointer blades were probably fine until you tried to joint the plywood and glue. A lesson learned and your other thread implies that you've now banned plywood from your jointer. So buy the same set of knives as replacements for the damaged ones.

Due to my recent encounter with plywood edges, I am in need of new jointer knives. The generic replacement blades I installed may have been part of the problem. I'm looking for a source of decent quality blades. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Is cutting ply/glue as detrimental for spiral jointer cutters? I've only turned my inserts once.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Barry, what I have read from the comments on my posting about plywood vs jointers , is that carbide should be ok .
Jeff you are right that the OEM knives would probably be better quality than the replacements I used. Unfortunately the original Delta company is gone. The name was bought by someone else. They only make parts for their newly designed machines.
Joe, the Esta system sounds intriguing. I'll have to check into that.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I meant buy a new set of the off-brand jointer knives like the damaged ones, just don't use them on plywood again. I figured that your old OEM knives from Germany are no longer available. You could use those unless you threw them out.

Barry, what I have read from the comments on my posting about plywood vs jointers , is that carbide should be ok .
Jeff you are right that the OEM knives would probably be better quality than the replacements I used. Unfortunately the original Delta company is gone. The name was bought by someone else. They only make parts for their newly designed machines.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Tim, Sorry I did not read the prior posts before asking about carbide. Thanks much!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Consider the Disposa Blade system. Set it once; double sided knives; easy to change the blades or shift the blades if one is nicked. Had that on a previous jointer/planer combo and loved it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS