Replace Incandescents With CFLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I have mostly 200W incandescents in my workshop and am thinking about replacing some or all with CFLs. I'm not ready to install new fluorescent fixtures. My meter is right outside the shop door and when I reach inside and turn on the lights the wheel really spins. Does anyone have any experience they'd like to share? Thanks.

Stan Messick
smessick@skybest.com

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Stan,

The new CFLs do save on energy but I've not seen any that replace a 200Watt bulb. The largest I've seem are 150watt replacements.

I've replaced most of my incandescents with the new CFLs and have noticed a considerable decrease in energy use.

I'm not sure that the ratings they give on the packaging is very good. As an example, I replaced two 60watts with 2 of the new CFLs that were supposed to be the equivalent to the 60watts and they threw out less light. I had to go up to the 75watt equivalent.

You'll also need to take precautions on disposal of the CFLs as they contain mercury. In my area (western NC) we can tuurn the used or broken CFLs into the fire dept for proper disposal.

Dan C.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
On the bright side, those flourescents never seem to die. I started replacing my incandescents a year ago and haven't had one go on me yet. I have a ton of bulbs in my house, and what used to be a regular chore (replacing dead bulbs) has turned into a very rare occurrence, as the last of the incandescents go. This is as big a benefit to me as the energy savings :).

I do leave incandescents in the living room(s) and most of the bedrooms though, as people tend to prefer the lighting they provide in those rooms. Bathrooms and kitchens are ideal candidates for replacement in my opinion.

DavidF

New User
David
I use some of the new full spectrum cfl's as task lighting in the shop and they work really well.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
My experience points to replacing lights that are on for long periods of time. Maybe it's the brand of bulb we used, but I'd rather not have them in the bathroom - there's a slight delay between flicking the switch and the bulb coming on....just long enough to interrupt your train of thought..and we don't want that happening on the way into the bathroom, now do we?
:gar-La;

But they're great for the front porch light, the stairway light down to the shop, the garage/shop lights, etc.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I assume the 200W is for the brightness - right? Be aware that the color will be diff with the CFL lights - generally cooler. You may not think it is a big deal until you start to finish a project and find it very challenging to read the grain / color. If that turns out to the be the case a good alternative is to have a flood light on a stand handy. Portable lamps are always useful anyway, so worth having no matter what you do. I use a CFL in the lamp on my BS - no filament to break with vibration and longer life overall.

As for not having the wattage avail in CFLs, you could always go with surface mount fluorescent panels - just put them right over the old electrical box, no problems. Four 60W tubes will about equal one 200W incancescent, and you can also get the tubes in different light colors ...

thrytis

New User
Eric
I can't say how much the electric use decreased, but i replaced my two 100W bulbs in my shop with a Y adapter and four 100-150W equivalent CFL bulbs. It made a big difference for the amount of light i have now and makes it usable until i add new fluorescent fixtures.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'd stay away from using them in "short-use" areas such as bathrooms and closets. They do not last as long if continually cycled on and off, and they take several minutes to reach full brilliance.

Has anyone here tried the spot/flood versions in recessed lighting cans, with X10 dimmer modules? I've been really reluctant to buy any for my kitchen for fear that they won't work properly with the X10 modules. Some of them say "dimmable" on the package, but I wonder just the same...

:kermit: Steve

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My experience:

1. Delay on light up (a second or two)
2. "Wattage" indications are erroneous as to visible light. The CFLs appear (to me) to give off about 2/3 to 3/4 the amount of light.
3. They do not work well in an unheated garage in the winter (I have one in my drop light because the incandescents didn't last long when I dropped it, but they aren't usable on a cold day/night).
4. Contain mercury so disposal can be an issue.

They cut down the KWs used on multi-light fixtures, tho.

I do wonder what I will use to replace my outside floodlights when the incandescents become illegal. If they won't light on winter's night, what good are they?

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used CFLs in several locations in my home & have to agree about the warm up (especially the bug lights) & disposal issues. Overall, I use them strategically like most of you.
But I've gotta ask, what is everybody doing with their old fluorescent tubes now? They contain a lot more mercury & I haven't seen a groundswell of concern among the public or environmentalists about their disposal. I can't count the times I've shattered these things into a dumpster or garbage can - not to mention the accidental breakage in the shop.
I was given some food grade shields for the new lights I'll be installing in my shop, but what do I do when I finally shatter a lamp? Do I throw away the shield?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have three of the largest CFLs I could find lighting my shop. They do a good job in most of the shop. I put cheap porclean bulb sockets on the box, glued a wooden doughnut to it, and screwed cheap big plastic tumblers from Walmart to the doughnut to protect the CFL. Minmial cost, protected from me moving boards around, and give off a bunch of light. Appearance.....

Jim

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I have mostly 200W incandescents in my workshop and am thinking about replacing some or all with CFLs. I'm not ready to install new fluorescent fixtures. My meter is right outside the shop door and when I reach inside and turn on the lights the wheel really spins. Does anyone have any experience they'd like to share? Thanks.

Stan Messick
smessick@skybest.com

The only 200w equivalents I could find were grow lights, which I don't think you'd want in a shop, plus, as mentioned they're pricey $$$.

I don't use them in the shop (I use T8 fluorescents and halogens), but we've used them all around the house for about 4 years and I've only had one blow so far. And it was in an area with a lot of on-off-on-off usage.

One thing I like is that you can use an "overrated" CFL to replace an incandescent. I turned a reading light into a trouble light by replacing the 60w incandescent with a 23w CFL (100w equiv.). More light for less power, and there's no danger of overloading the fixture because it only draws 23w max in a 60w rated fixture.

CFLs now come in a range of color temperatures (a rating of how close to pure sunlight the light quality is). If it were me, I think I spend a few extra $$ and get full spectrum bulbs, especially in your finishing area. I'd either go with the 150w equiv. or you could order these. More light for less power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS