Repair gouges on painted wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I need to smooth the surface in the picture. Goal is smooth and painter white. The photo represents front door interior sideline area where previous owner painted over gouges. Paint is adherent. Sanding it smooth would leave noticeable defect.
What would be the fastest, easiest, durable fix? Thought about bondo. Sherwin Williams recommended wood filler.
Your Advice?
attachment.php

(Never worried about it but we're moving and getting the house ready to show)

TIA

Attachments

• Door scratches.jpg
    Door scratches.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 277

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I think it's a Minwax product, but there is a 2 part product very similar to Bondo but is a wood filler. I would rough the surface with some sandpaper, fill with that product & sand smooth, then paint over.

H0kXHFW1PsHzBAqLtS44v255ou4LlCJYj2q5oOZLtiJYjmLZoupLlCoYtGLZoOpLpiKYtmrZs2pJhiroh6aaiG4quK7qmGqqqK7qhGJZi2oppny8H8UM9iMwgNOPIiCItDKUolOJAhqEcATHwuNBngdv1nY5nt12r5VoN3zoAZs0zDh1t11H3Xf3A0fYtZdeUdy15z5I3HW3VUddMack

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The whole surface in the picture is "textured" so who in the heck is going to notice a few little gouges here and there and I don't think that a sale will hinge on that repair. I'd scuff sand the general area with 120 g, prime it, and repaint it white(r).

Too much ado about nothing perhaps.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
The whole surface in the picture is "textured" so who in the heck is going to notice a few little gouges here and there and I don't think that a sale will hinge on that repair. I'd scuff sand the general area with 120 g, prime it, and repaint it white(r).

Too much ado about nothing perhaps.
Right except just outside the picture, all around the door, nothing is textured. It's a focal area just under the side window, although the pic I provided only shows the damaged area. When you feel it and look at it closely in person, it looks like dog damage where they jumped at the door. Realtor and stager both independently noted it as an issue that people would see. I just finished carving the edge contour seen as a round edge in the top pic. I think I'll go the bondo route but appreciate all the input.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
For grins, here is after edge carving part around the window.
attachment.php

Not perfect, but I'll clean it up with same Bondo.

Attachments

• Edge detail after carving.jpg
    Edge detail after carving.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 202

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gotcha, that's a clearer explanation of the problem and what you need to fix.

Realtor and stager both independently noted it as an issue that people would see.

OMG, those ultra keen eyed potential buyers will walk out the door without making an offer or they'll reduce it by at least $1000. I'd say "fine, then you fix it to your satisfaction or get some dogs to fix it."

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You guys are going more perfect / I'm moving more rustic... Had it with trying to upkeep outrageously expensive borg mill work. Give me a good ole rough saw or hand hewn board for trim and I'm happy happy happy.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
ZAR wood patch is what I have been using for the same purpose. Seems to sand easier than Bondo. Takes paint very well.
I might take a awl or five-in-one tool to scratch the deepest part of the depressions to give it some additional physical adherence.
Ed

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I need to smooth the surface in the picture. Goal is smooth and painter white. The photo represents front door interior sideline area where previous owner painted over gouges. Paint is adherent. Sanding it smooth would leave noticeable defect.
What would be the fastest, easiest, durable fix? Thought about bondo. Sherwin Williams recommended wood filler.
Your Advice?

attachment.php

(Never worried about it but we're moving and getting the house ready to show)

TIA

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/p...ive={Creative}&ctplacement=207662-44622122499

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
You guys are going more perfect / I'm moving more rustic... Had it with trying to upkeep outrageously expensive borg mill work. Give me a good ole rough saw or hand hewn board for trim and I'm happy happy happy.

Yeah, I'm with you in spirit. It is interesting that what started out as hand-planed detailed trim molding has become standard mandatory mass produced borg fare. We're moving to more rustic, farm, etc. This house needs to sell (quickly I hope) with a congruent look, so we fuss.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Gotcha, that's a clearer explanation of the problem and what you need to fix.

OMG, those ultra keen eyed potential buyers will walk out the door without making an offer or they'll reduce it by at least $1000. I'd say "fine, then you fix it to your satisfaction or get some dogs to fix it."

All true. One of the things I hate about selling houses is what the majority seems to focus on when buying a house. I go right to the mechanicals, structure, cladding when looking. We've moved a bunch and any showing feedback we've ever gotten pertained to paint color and the like. I remember one potential buyer wrote feedback "Blue (room paint). What am I supposed to do with blue?" Umm, paint it?
In this instance, we don't want someone getting some idea that the front entry door including sidelights and transom needs to be replaced. I hate it, but first impressions coupled with lack of knowledge can be loss of buyer. Most buyers also don't seem to know all of the options for making a real estate deal (pay contractor at sale, knock price down) when making initial decisions.
After all that, they'll find something else ticky-tack I didn't even notice.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Used Bondo Woodfiller. As I understand the products, this is the same as the auto product with different tint. Still 2 part and smells same.
Kind of mundane, but here it is filled, smooth, and ready for primer (surrounding door here still to be sanded):
attachment.php

After I saw Phil's post about a scratch stock build I realized I could have recreated the window trim edge by cutting plastic or metal to the shape of the other molding, then using the scraper to shape bondo on the edge. Would have actually been faster than freehand sculpting with chisels.

Attachments

• Door after bondo.jpg
    Door after bondo.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors